Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1137701

Date first listed: 10-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BREVITA


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BREVITA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137701 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2019 at 13:55:45.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST BREVITA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lanlivery

National Grid Reference: SX 07991 59046


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SX 05 NE LANLIVERY LANLIVERY 7/24 Church of St Brevita (formerly lists as Church of St Brywyth) 10.2.67 GV I

Parish church. Late C14, with alterations, south aisle, porch and tower of mid C15; C19 restoration, C20 alterations. Granite rubble and ashlar, asbestos slate roofs with crested ridge tiles. Nave and chancel in one, with north transept; these are in granite rubble with granite dressings. Probably in the first half of the C15, the south aisle and south porch were added, and the east wall of the chancel was rebuilt. The tower is of later C15, and at the same time as the tower was built to west, the north wall of the nave was rebuilt, on similar plinth. The north transept is used as an organ chamber and vestry. C19 restoration included work to the south arcade, tower arch and windows. Perpendicular style. Nave and chancel in one; there are 3 bays of the nave on the north side, to the west of the transept. These are in granite ashlar, on a plinth with a hollow-chamfered moulding, with moulded eaves cornice, 3 Perpendicular style windows with 4-centred arches, all 3-light, with cusped heads and upper tracery and hood mould. The 2 north bays of the chancel are in rubble, without plinth, with central blocked priest's door with 2-centred arch. To left and right, a 4-centred arched 3-light window, with the centre light taller with 2-centred arch, with hood mould. The east gable end of the chancel has 4-light window, with 4-centred arch and hood mould, cusped lights and upper tracery. The north transept is a single bay, in random rubble, the north gable end has a Decorated style window of 3 lights with 4-centred arch, cusped lights and intersecting Y tracery; weathered buttress to west and pointed arched C19 door to east, also a 3-light window, as on the north side of the chancel but smaller. The rood stair turret is set in the angle between the transept and the nave, with 1 blocked lancet. The south aisle is of 6 bays on chamfered plinth, in granite ashlar, with the porch in the 2nd bay from the west. All the south windows are of 3 lights, in Perpendicular style, with cusped lights and upper tracery, 4-centred arches and hood mould; eaves cornice. The east gable end has raised coped verges and cross finial, with 4-light window with cusped lights and Y tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould; straight joint to chancel. The west gable end also has raised coped verges and cross finial, 3-light window in Decorated style as on north transept, possibly re-used. Parapet wall built up to conceal valley to nave. 2 slate headstone set on wall, to Hugh Littleton, 1740 and Thomas Littleton, 1769, with carved cherub. The south porch is gabled, with raised coped verges and cross finial, on plinth with eaves cornice. 4-centred arched doorway with recessed spandrels and hood mould, wave-moulded surround with C20 double doors. Slate sundial set on gable, with gnomon, dated 1755. The porch plinth is continuous with the plinth of the south aisle. The west tower is in granite ashlar, of 3 stages on hollow-chamfered. plinth, with setback buttresses rising through 2 stages, stopped by corbels set under the string course, with carved masks, lions, angels and figures holding a head. The string course at the top of the 3rd stage has gargoyles, embattled parapet with embattled corner turrets with crocketed pinnacles and cross finials. C19 4-centred arched west doorway with quatrefoils in spandrels and hood mould, plain double door. 4-light window above with cusped heads, Y tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould, 2 courses of relieving arch. Bell-openings at 3rd stage, 4-light to west and other sides 3- light, with mullions, 4-centred arch and slate louvres, 3-light openings have cusped heads. To east, the string course at first stage is stepped over the gable end of the nave, with a 2-light 4-centred arched window above, with slate ventilators, hood mould and relieving arch. The stair tower is set within the tower, pierced quatrefoils and lancets to north. Interior : Tall pointed tower arch, with arch of 3 wave-moulded orders, rebuilt in C19, with 5 clustered granite piers to each side with moulded abaci; pointed arched doorway to north west to tower stair. The nave and chancel have ceiled wagon roof. 6-bay south arcade with 2 bays to chancel and 4 bays to nave, of 4-centred arches with Cornish standard piers with quatrefoils on abaci and 2 hollow-chamfered orders to arches. Slate floor to nave and aisle, plastered walls. Window reveals rebuilt in C19. South aisle has 12 bays remaining of C15 waggon roof, to east, other timberwork removed. Moulded ribs and bosses, wall-plate partially re-carved in C19; fine bosses including a green man and a grotesque mask. The south porch has a wagon roof with moulded ribs and bosses, of C19 reconstruction. Granite floor with stone benches to sides, holy water stoup to right of door. 4-centred arched granite doorway with step stops, studded door, which is a refacing of an early door, with strap hinges to inner side and wooden lock with decorative iron facing. The north transept is entered through a 4-centred arch, as in the arcade, but with different mouldings to abaci. Blocked squint to chancel and 4-centred arched hollow-chamfered door to rood stair, lower part of stone newel stair remaining. Ceiled wagon roof and blocked fireplace to northwest. Early roof may remain under plasterwork in nave and north transept. Fittings : Large octagonal granite font in south aisle on octagonal stem with quatrefoil panels and shields to sides. Late C19 wooden pews and pulpit in nave and aisle. C18 panelled chest in nave. In north transept, a hatchment painted with a letter of thanks from Charles I "given at our camp at Sudely Castle" 10th September 1643, with nowy head and initials CR, with finials. In the tower, a hatchment dated 1811, with verses on the laws of bellringing and primitive painting of Bellringers. Monuments in nave : limestone tablet with pinnacles, frieze and cornice, to Nicholas Kendall, 1844; in chancel, a heart-shaped tablet with bay leaf surround, cornice and shield of arms above, to Walter Kendall, 1696, monument erected 1703 by his relict; marble tablet on slate ground with cornice, scrolled pediment and acroterial ornaments, to Anne Wynter, 1835. In south aisle, a slate tablet with pediment on plinth, with moulded corbels, central shield with ancient colour remaining, to Nicholas Kendall, 1739; slate tablet set low on wall, with arcade of 3 arches, with carved borders. There is a shield of arms in the arch to left, inscription in arch to right, central arch has raised carved female kneeling at a prie-dieu, with a pennant from her lips with the words: my spirit doth heaven inherit. To Jane Kendall, 1643. Marble tablet on slate ground, to T W Kendall, 1798. Fine baroque monument, with slate inscription panel, on moulded base with scrolled supports, apron has skull with crossed bones and bat wings, modillion cornice and entablature, broken pediment with central shield and obelisk finials; to Joan Kendall, 1675. Marble tablet with drapery, to Penelope Kendall, 1687. Marble classical monument with Ionic columns in coloured marble, cornice and entablature, broken pediment with central urn; to Mary Fletcher, died 1754, monument erected 1753. Marble tablet on slate ground, to Mary Collins, 1781. Chancel windows, and windows in south aisle, with stained glass of late C19. Chancel east window incorporates small coat of arms of medieval glass, 1 north window in nave has fragment of medieval blue glass. Sources : Radcliffe, E : Buildings of England : Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SX0799259047


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70776

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

End of official listing