Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 03:12:59.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Lakeland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 49610 79567


SD 4979 BEETHAM CHURCH STREET (off North side) Beetham

9/39 Church of St Michael


G.V. I

Church. Probably C12; South aisle added c.1200, chancel extended to East C13, Beetham Chapel added C14, North aisle added and South aisle widened C15, top stage of Tower added C16. Restored and south porch added 1873-74 (R.C.H.M.). Rubble walls, mainly limestone, with sandstone dressings; lead roofs. West Tower; Nave with aisles, Chancel, North Vestry and South Chapel incorporated in rectangular plan. 2-stage battlemented Tower with crocketed corner pinnacles. C14 doorway with 2-centred arch in West wall and window above with 2 trefoiled ogee lights in 2-centred head with moulded label; loop lights to all but East side; bell-chamber, slightly corbelled out, has 3-light C16 windows with elliptical-headed lights under moulded labels; C20 weathervane. East wall has late C19 5-light central window. 3-light C15 window to North aisle with cinquefoiled lights in 4-centred head with moulded label (most other C15 windows similar). 3-light C15 window in South aisle has cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in 4-centred head with moulded label. Stone gabled porch: doorway with pointed-arched head and hoodmould; inserted door to right with memorial to Richd Hadwin d.1779 over; 3 3-light C15 windows and one 2-light window c.1400 to left of it and one C14 window and 2 c.1400 to right. West wall has 3-light C15 window to left of Tower and 2-light late C14 window,with trefoiled ogee lights with moulded label,to right. North side has doorway with pointed-arched head and 5 3-light C15 windows. Interior has early C16 9-bay roof with cambered and chamfered tie beams, partly restored to Chancel and Nave; late C15 or early C16 12-bay pent roof to North aisle with moulded principals. In Beetham Chapel are remnants of late medieval heraldic glass. Other glass mainly C19 and C20,notably East window by Clayton Bell to William Hutton died 1881; early C20 martyrs' window in North aisle with Charles I flanked by St Oswald and St Alban; 4th window from East in South aisle by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster and London. This window also has a black stone memorial urn dated 1811. See R.C.H.M. pp.101-103 and plate 97.

Listing NGR: SD4960879569


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/13879/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Adrian Allchin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].