FARLEIGH HOSPITAL AND THE CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1137793

Date first listed: 27-Jun-1974

Statutory Address: FARLEIGH HOSPITAL AND THE CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, OLD WESTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FARLEIGH HOSPITAL AND THE CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137793 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 05:04:57.

Location

Statutory Address: FARLEIGH HOSPITAL AND THE CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, OLD WESTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: North Somerset (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Flax Bourton

National Grid Reference: ST 51844 69532

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST 56 NW OLD WESTON ROAD (North-west side) 7/154 Farleigh Hospital and the Church of St. George 27.6.74 G.V. II

Workhouse for the Bedminster Union, now a hospital. 1837-8 by Scott and Moffat. Chapel and arcade, dated 1860 by John Norton. The hospital is constructed of ashlar and coursed, squared rubble; C20 tiled and slate roofs; ashlar stacks. At the front is an administrative block with a tall central archway with imposts, a rusticated voussoirs and a keystone dated 1838, surmounted by a pediment. Flanking single storey, 5 bay wings with glazing bar sash windows and wide, plain pilasters; the 3rd and 4th windows project in a square bay under a hipped roof; eaves band and cornice. At the right is a later, low 3 bay extension. Setback behind and at each side of the administrative block are 6 bay blocks. These connect with the north-east and south-west blocks of the inner courtyard: 3 storeys; 7 bays, the last one recessed, to the north; and 6 bays to the south, the last one advanced; all with 4-pane south windows. The rear block has an octagonal, 4 storey central block; alternate bays are advanced and surmounted by a pediment; central C20 door; clock on top storey and plain band between second and top floor; glazing bar sash windows; flanking 3 storey wings of 5 bays. At the rear is the kitchen block: 2 storeys with a hipped slate roof; l:2:2:2:2:2:l bays of 4-pane sash windows, as an E-plan with the outer bays projecting as taller, flanking wings; the kitchen wing is connected by a single storey corridor (now broken through) to the main block. To the south-west of the administrative block an arcaded walk extends for 9 bays (broken in the centre) and it leads to the chapel. The chapel (Church of St George is of coursed, squared rubble with freestone dressings and quoins, and with a plain tiled roof. Nave, north and south transepts, chancel and vestry, all in an early C13 style with plate tracery. Two 2-light windows with cusped heads to the nave; two similar windows to the chancel; 3-light windows to the transepts. 5-light south east window. 4-light north-west window with a foiled circle above. Bell turret on north-west gable. The interior retains the Early English style font and pulpit. All other buildings are excluded.

Listing NGR: ST5184469532

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 33480

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing