- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137864.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 00:59:09.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 09123 58804
SX 05 NE
House. Circa 1600, remodelled early C18, circa 1800 remodelling of ballroom; remodelled circa 1860 after a fire, with some later alterations. Granite ashlar, wings to left and right in granite rubble with granite dressings. Asbestos slate roofs with granite stacks; the central block has hipped roof with external stacks to sides, rear lateral stack to wing to right. Wing to left heated by axial ridge stacks. Overall E-plan. The rectangular central block is of single depth plan, with central entrance, library to front right and principal room to front left; deep rear hall behind the 2 front rooms. This block was formed from a C17 core, extensively rebuilt in early C18 with 2 storeys and attic on basement. After the fire of c. 1860, the attic storey was removed. To left, the wing is of the original circa 1600 build, of 2-room plan with one-room plan wing projecting to left end; each room heated by an axial stack. The inner room is a dining room and the outer one a kitchen; there is a rear scullerly addition, probably of the C19, at the outer angle of the front left wing. The projecting end wing is heated by a stack at the junction with the first range, and has a gun-room at ground floor and a chamber above of more than service status. There is a stair at each end of the left hand connecting wing; the main stair in the central block was removed after the fire. The wing to right is of the same height as the wing to left, but is all one room to full height, the ballroom; this is a remodelling of c. 1800 of probably an early C18 range; the windows are of full height, (the moulded granite jambs are not continuous) but were formerly ground and first floor windows with granite surrounds as on the wing to left. The projecting front wing to right forms the stable range, entered from the rear and with additional buildings to rear forming a stable yard; the inner side of the stable yard is a coach house, on 3 storeys, built into the slope of the ground, with laundry above. The remodelling of the early C18 created a symmetrical front, with the stacks on the central block built to match those of earlier date. Central block of 2 storeys with moulded plinth on basement, of 1:3:1 bays in fine cut ashlar. End pilasters and pilasters dividing off end bays, coved cornice and blocking course. All windows are plate-glass sashes in raised surrounds with moulded cills, 3 wide granite steps to central doorway, with panelled double doors with overlight, moulded architrave and pediment on consoles. Basement has four 2-light windows, with chamfered granite mullions and iron stanchions, concealed below plinth by low ashlar wall. The left side of the centre block is rendered, with basement doorway, a granite 4-centred arch, chamfered and stopped; the wall is stepped, to the right of the external stack, with moulded cornice. The right side is also rendered, with similar external stack. To the right, the 3-bay ballroom range, without plinth, with coved cornice. Large windows with 2 mullions and transom, granite surrounds broken midway, inserted in former ground and first floor openings. Projecting to end right, the 2-storey stable block, with central tall 4-centred arched granite doorway with convex moulding, panelled door with re-set wooden plaque with Kendall arms and date 1646. At ground and first floor to left and right, a 3-light granite casement with hollow chamfered mullions, early C20 glazing with glazing bars; coved cornice. The front end of the wing has a similar 3-light casement at first floor. To the left of the central block, a 2-storey range in granite rubble, with 4-centred arched granite doorway to left and right, with panelled door to right, blocked with C20 window inserted to left. To the centre, two 3-light granite casements at ground and first floor. Coved cornice and ridge stack to left, heating fireplace at outer end of room to left; this is an ashlar stack with cornice. The front wing to left of 2 storeys, has central 4-centred arched granite doorway with panelled door, similar 3-light casement at ground and first floor to left and right. The front end has 3- light casement at first floor. The outer left side has 2-light chamfered granite casement at ground floor to right, 3-light hollow-chamfered casement at first floor. 1½ storey scullery addition to end of main range, with 8-pane sash at ground floor, casement and circular light at first floor. The rear of the range to left has 16- pane sashes and casements, irregularly spaced. Rear of the central block has plate- glass sashes and external stair to C20 door. Band course over first floor windows and bellcote to right side. Attached to the rear of the ballroom, the laundry block, with two 6-pane sashes at first floor and brick stack to front gable end with turned clay pots. Single storey addition to rear with hipped roof and 16-pane sash. The outer right side of the stable block has blocked door and coved cornice, wall chamfered to rear. Rear of the stable has 16-pane sash and door, casement and loading door above. The coach house is under the laundry, with 2 tall segmental headed doorways, 2 blind windows at first and 2nd floor; 2-storey stable block to rear, enclosing yard, with 2 doors and 2 casements at ground floor, one window and 2 blind windows under eaves. The front stable block retains wooden loose boxes, with hayloft over. Interior The central block was completely remodelled after the fire, so no principal staircase survives. In the wing to left, of the early build, there is a granite floor, late C19 dog-leg stair at each end, and panelled shutters to front windows; hooks in ceiling and round arched doorway between the kitchen and the dining room. The gun room in the front wing has a granite floor and fireplace with segmental head, bolection moulded surround to fireplace. A first floor in the front wing, one room, a parlour, with granite 4-centred arched fireplace with roll mouldings and re-set datestone WK 1688, for Walter Kendall. The windows are chamfered internally and the ceiling has coving, roof structure not accessible over this range. The-ballroom has coved panelled ceiling with plaster cornice, panelled shutters to windows and tall double panelled doors with panelled cheeks and soffit and moulded architrave. The fireplace is to the rear, and has a fine marble chimneypiece, with Greek key frieze, central plaque of Grecian maidens, consoles to front and sides and blue tiled interior, moulded mantel.
Listing NGR: SX0912358804
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing