GATCOMBE COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1137925
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1984
Statutory Address:
GATCOMBE COURT, ASHTON WATERING

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATCOMBE COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1137925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 20:48:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATCOMBE COURT, ASHTON WATERING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Long Ashton
National Grid Reference:
ST 52547 69859

Details

ST 56 NW LONG ASHTON ASHTON WATERING

7/95 Gatcombe Court

G.V. II*

Court or manor house. Late C14 - C15; altered mid - late C17 and C20. Rubble with freestone dressings; double Roman tiled roofs at different levels; rendered diagonal stacks. 2 storeys; and attics in 2 steep gables with ball finials to the left (west) part. 4 bays to south elevation with the gable end of the east wing at the far right. The ground floor has two canted bay windows with glazing bar sashes (1930's) to the left; an off-centre projecting, square ashlar porch with a moulded cornice and a C19 panelled and glazed door; to the right is a C17 1:3:1-light bay window with ovolo moulded mullions, transoms and surrounds. On the first floor to the left are 2-light cross windows under a continuous string course and to the right are 2 glazing bar sash windows; 2-light cross windows in the attic. West elevation. 2 bays to the left with 4- and 3-light casement windows in ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds and decorative iron catches; lozenge and square panelled door to right in a moulded frame. At the far right is the projecting gable end of a mediaeval wing: remains of a 2-light window with cusped ogee heads and under a square dripmould in the re-entrant wall; 3-light window with hollow chamfered mullions and cusped ogee heads, under a square dripmould, in gable end wall. Interior. Rear (north-east) room has remains of an ashlar fireplace with an ogee-hollow moulded lintel and jamb; pointed valuted plaster ceiling to chamber above. The main part of the house has an open well staircase, dated RS 1683, with a closed and moulded string, turned balusters and acorn finials; nearby is a studded and panelled door, dated A/1S 1664

Listing NGR: ST5254769859

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33492
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].