CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138021.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 21:58:07.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
- Long Ashton
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 55342 70956
ST 57 SE LONG ASHTON CHURCH ROAD (south-east side)
5/104 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS 11.10.61 G.V. II*
Parish Church (Anglican). C14 and C15; restored with much of the east end rebuilt 1871-72. West tower, nave, north and south aisles, north porch, north and south chapels, chancel and vestry. Rubble and coursed squared rubble with freestone dressings; stone slate and slate roofs. West tower, probably late C14 for Thomas de Lyons (Lyon arms are over the west window); 3 stages, the lowest one is ashlar, with diagonal buttresses, and embattled parapet with pinnacles and gargoyles; 4-light west window under hoodmould with stops; 2-light windows to second stage and bell chamber; west door in a pointed and moulded surround, hoodmould with carved head stops; polygonal stair turret projects to the north-east, embattled parapet with a spirelet. The remainder of the church also has embattled parapets. North aisle and chapel has setback buttresses; four 3-light Perpendicular style windows with cusped ogee heads to the tracery. North porch: ashlar front with side buttresses; ogee-hollow-ogee moulded doorway under a hoodmould with carved head stops. Chancel, vestry and south chapel are all 1871-72: 5-light Perpendicular style east window; single storey vestry. South aisle and chapel (the chapel is mostly 1871-72): four 3-light perpendicular style windows with cusped ogee heads; projecting polygonal rood stair turret; south doorway has hoodmould with carved head stops. Interior. North porch: C19 north door with an image niche over; two defaced late C13 effigies, one to Willum de Snoudune, 1280. Nave: 4 bay arcade with piers of 4 columns alternating with 4 wave mouldings; similar mouldings to the chancel arch and arches to the north and south chapels. The tower arch has a double wave moulding. Pulpit, C19 in a Perpendicular style, ashlar, hexagonal. Font, restored; ashlar octagonal with a blank arcade of 2 cusped ogee panels to each side; the top dates from 1950. Screens across the nave and aisle: very high quality, probably late C15: 2-light divisions to the aisles, 3-lights.to the nave, all with perpendicular style tracery; cusped heads to the doorways, the central one has a sound head; the top has 2 foliate friezes and 3 rows of cresting. Glass: south chancel window has a late C15/early C16 set of figures of the Four Doctors; other fragments. includes figures of ecclesiastics, knights and ladies, roses and a winged lion. Monuments. North or Lady Chapel: Sir Richard Choke and his wife, died 1486; 2 recumbent figures (he in the robes of the Lord Chief Justice) with their heads supported by angels; on a tomb chest with three large quatrefoils with shields; the back has angels holding the Choke arms; the top has 5 hanging, cusped ogee gables with angels bearing arms. North aisle: Elizabeth Smyth, c.1820, classical marble tablet, draped urn with branches; Peto Maze, 1849 by Tyley of Bristol, Gothic with a cusped ogee canopy; painted board with the arms of Charles II; Hester Fenn, 1835, by Walker of Bristol, Greek revival marble tablet; William Fenn, 1785, classical marble tablet with an urn over. Tower: all to members of the Smyth family; south side, Hugh 1690 and Elizabeth 1715 (formerly signed by George Townsend of Bristol), baroque, inscribed marble panels, fluted pilasters, armorial bearings flanked by putti, surmounted by segmental pediment and urns; above is a large, classical tablet with an open pediment and arms; north side, Jane, 1818 and Thomas, 1800, 2 marble tablets with arms and draped urns; John 1802, classical marble tablet, reeded pilasters with urn; Hugh, 1824, marble tablet, drapery over a cross and chalice; Thomas Upton, 1840, Gothic. South aisle: set in a recess at the west end is an ashlar tomb chest with quatrefoils set in the sides, probably late C15/early C16; Mark Howell, 1810, by T. Clark of Bristol, classical tablet with draped urn; Rebecca Stanton, 1822, by Lancaster and Walker, marble tablet with an urn; Ford family, two superimposed Greek marble tablets; James Sparrow, 1804, marble tablet with arms. Chancel: 3 elaborate Gothic style monuments to the Smyth family, alabaster and marble, to Sir John 1849, Dame Emily 1914 and Sir John Henry 1901. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1250-1830, 1946).
Listing NGR: ST5534270956
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Woodforde, C , Stained Glass of Somerset 1250-1830, (1946)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing