CHAPEL OF ST NECTANS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1138175

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1966

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST NECTANS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST NECTANS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138175 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:45:57.

Location

Statutory Address: CHAPEL OF ST NECTANS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Winnow

National Grid Reference: SX1283559983

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 15 NW ST WINNOW

6/127 Chapel of St Nectans

21/8/66 GV II*

Chapel, dating from 1281. Present structure circa C15, although considerably restored. Chapel damaged in 1644 during Civil War when tower reduced to its present height. In 1825 and 1864 the building was enlarged. In 1962, after a period of disuse the chapel was restored and reduced to its present size. Rubblestone, rendered on north side. Slate roofs with gabled end. Pyramid slate roof to tower with slate hung bellcote. Chapel comprises nave, south porch and tower. East window, 3-light C19 Perpendicular window under 2-centred arch with hoods and drips. South side with 2- light Perpendicular window, partly restored to west of south porch. Cusped heads below rectangular hood. To east of porch two 3-light Perpendicular windows with cusped heads below rectangular hood moulds with drips. West window circa C15 with east window probably C19 copy. North side with three 3-light C19 windows with cusped heads beneath rectangular hoods with drips. Tower of 1½ stages with angle buttresses with moulded plinth and continuous string. Buttresses removed on north side when church was enlarged. West door blocked. West window, 3 light Perpendicular with continuous hood mould. Gabled south porch with sundial, massive granite quoins and 4- centred moulded C15 doorway with hood mould, restored in part. South door with slightly moulded granite arch in rectangular frame with hood mould and drips. Plastered waggon roof to nave with moulded centre rib with instruments of the Passion in shields on arcade plate. Original waggon roof to south porch with moulded rail, carved bosses and carved arcade plate. Tower arch, moulded 3-centred arch with engaged shafts of Type A (Pevsner) profile. Octagonal engaged capitals. Font possibly C13 on square granite base with later octagonal shaft. Bowl with corner ribs. Reseated. Remains of piscina to rear of church removed when church was reduced in size. Painted board above south door, signed by Robert Walker, Vicar, describes enlargement of church in 1825. Pinnacles of tower have been scattered over the surrounding area. One pinnacle has been used in a fountain in the gardens of Boconnoc, and another serves as a gatepost with other pieces reused stone at the entrance to the churchyard. One bell of 1770. Source: Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889

Listing NGR: SX1283559983

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60628

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1889)

End of official listing