CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1138238
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, CHURCH END

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138238.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 18:37:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT PETER, CHURCH END

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Milton Bryan
National Grid Reference:
SP 97110 30795

Details

SP 9630-9730 MILTON BRYAN CHURCH END 12/57 23.1.61 Church of Saint Peter GV I Parish Church. C12, C14 and C15, reworked 1841-3 by L N Cottingham. Also some work c.1875 by Henry Clutton. Ashlared limestone tower. Remainder of church has pebbledash render, partly over cobblestone and rubble, partly over brick. Mostly clay tile roofs, some C20 tiles. Chancel, nave, N and S transepts, NW tower, N porch. Chancel: C12 with later reworkings. 4-centred 3-light E window, C15 but reworked. N elevation has small C12 round-headed single light. S elevation has similar window above C15 pointed doorway. W of this is square-headed 2-light window. Chancel arch, C12 but reworked C19, has billet ornament and shafts with scalloped capitals to W side. Nave: C12, reworked. S wall has 2 small C12 rounded-headed windows. C19 4-light square- headed W window. Above this is C12 round-headed single light. C15 pointed arched N doorway. C19 stone coped 2-stage W gable with cross finial. N and S transepts: earlier C19. N transept has 3-light square-headed N window surmounted by pointed single light. S transept has similar windows except single light is blind. Both have cross finials. N W tower: 1841-3. 3 stages, with slightly projecting angle buttresses to 2 lower stages. Pointed- arched single lights to 2 lower stages, the 2nd stage ones surmounted by blind oculi (W one containing clock face). Bell stage has paired pointed-arched lights to each side. Machicolated embattled parapet. N porch: later C19, filling space between tower and N transept. Pointed archway. Stone coped gable. Interior: Nave retains steep pitched C14 4-bay roof. Carved male and female head brackets to principal rafters. 2 purlins to each side with carved bosses at intersections with rafters, with plastered panels between. Chancel roof is C19, but retains C14 trusses. Chancel has C12 nook-shaft to S wall, possibly remains of apse arch. C12 circular font with 4 pilasters, on C19 base. Reset in S transept floor is C12 coffin lid with carved cross and interlaced decoration. N transept has white marble chest tomb with recumbant effigy to Sir Hugh Inglis, 1832, by Chantrey. Nave W window has glass by Wailes, 1867, to Sir Joseph Paxton, born in the parish.

Listing NGR: SP9711030795

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38159
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/13487/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Hurst. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].