WHATCROFT HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1138463

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1953

Statutory Address: WHATCROFT HALL, WHATCROFT LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHATCROFT HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138463 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 23:19:27.

Location

Statutory Address: WHATCROFT HALL, WHATCROFT LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Davenham

National Grid Reference: SJ 67992 69856

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHATCROFT C.P. WHATCROFT LANE SJ 66NE 4/30 10 March 1953 Whatcroft Hall II*

Mansion, late C18, but with slightly earlier Garden Front. Red brick, in Flemish Bond, with slate hipped roof. 2 storeys, 6 bays with 5-bay Garden Front. The Entrance Front has full height projecting corner pilasters with stone ogee finials at roof level. Pair of 3-panel doors in pilastered doorcase with festoon and foliage frieze arid dentil pediment. Recessed sashes with glazing bars, stone sills and flat, slightly cambered, arches. Moulded eaves gutter. The Garden Front (south-west) has a brick first floor band, four French Windows and sashes with exposed weight boxes. At the rear (south-east) there is a fully glazed door in pilastered and pedimented doorcase, also sash windows. In the north-east elevation there is a six-panel door, with radial bar fanlight, also sashes with exposed weight boxes and flat arches. At roof level there is a copper-covered ogee Cupola, with weather vane, mounted on a high standing drum which contains four 2- light Gothick windows. Lead hips and plain stack at external walls. Interior: A stone spiral staircase, with curtail step, high quality metal trellis balustrade and hardwood wreathed handrail occupies a cylindrical-well below the cupola. The cupola drum has a Vitruvian scroll band, at its base, and an openwork roll cornice and cove at the base of the cupola. There are fan-like spandrels, also radiating ribs to a central, foliage motif ceiling rose which supports a brass chandelier. The Entrance Hall has a ceiling divided into large and small intersecting squares and an ornate fireplace with carved archi- traves, floral frieze and egg and dart cornice. The north-west room has panelled linings to the sashes, a fireplace with festoon and urn features, and a built-up plaster cornice. The north-east room has a fireplace with garlands, console blocks and a dentil cornice. There is a plaster ceiling cornice based on egg and darts with fruits in the ceiling section. There are a number of six-panel doors throughout the building.

Listing NGR: SJ6799269856

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 57211

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing