CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1138532
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, WHITCHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138532.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 14:57:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, WHITCHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Dodcott cum Wilkesley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 60685 42575

Details

DODCOTT CUM WILKESLEY C.P. WHITCHURCH ROAD SJ 64 SW 7/38 Church of St Michael l2-1-67 GV II Church. 1769 with additions of 1886. Built for the Cottons of Combermere. Red Flemish bond brick with a slate roof. The C18 church was of cruciform plan to which two further transepts and a chancel were added in 1886 as well as a new west wall and a north western porch and a bellcote. Western end: slightly projecting brick plinth with a chamfered top. Pilaster buttresses to either side. Ashlar band upon which the three round arched windows rest with ashlar surrounds and an ashlar band at the level of the springing of their arches with keystones above. Stone cornice above this with a plain frieze. Above the pilaster buttresses are ashlar fluted drums with conical caps and ball finials. To the gable is a circular clock face in a square surround with a swan-necked pediment above with a stylised wafer and chalice set between the two halves of the pediment. Ashlar coping to the gable with a cross to the apex. To the ridge behind this is the bellcote which is of timber with a lead roof and splayed wooden body which has a round-headed arch to each side and weather-cock to the summit. The northern side has the porch of 1886 to the right which has a round arch with a console keystone and an ashlar band at the level of the springing. Pedimental gable above with a carving showing St George slaying the dragon. To either side are porthole windows. Behind the porch is a blocked round-headed window and to left are the two C18 bays being a transept with a round arched window of two arched lights with a circular light to the apex. Projecting keystone and springers. Pedimental gable above with an ashlar surround. To the left again is a similar window. The southern side of the nave is similar save that no porch has been imposed and it therefore has 3 symmetrically disposed bays. The chancel addition of 1886 has to its southern side a vestry at left to the right of which is a single-light round-headed window. The northern side has a transept at right with 3 arched-headed lights and a porthole light to the pedimental gable and a cross to the apex. To the left is a single light round-headed window. The eastern end has a tripe round-headed lancet window contained within a round relieving arch which has ashlar springers and keystone with clasping pilaster buttresses to either side and fluted drum finials with conical caps as at the western end. The church was noted by Dr Johnson on his visit to Combermere in 1774.

Listing NGR: SJ6068542575

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
57062
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01726/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Howard W Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].