CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1138557

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 15-May-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138557 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 13:52:33.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wistaston

National Grid Reference: SJ 68130 53625

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WISTASTON C.P. CHURCH LANE SJ 65 SE 8/105 Church of St Mary the Virgin. (Formerly listed as Church of 12.1.67 St Mary)

GV II

Church, dated R.P.1827 on inscribed brick, by George Latham of Northwich with additions and alterations of 1884 and 1905. Red Flemish bond brick with a slate roof. Western tower, nave and chancel. Astylar Tower of three stages and of square plan. Western face: stone plinth common to whole building. Slightly projecting door surround with stone surrounded pedimental top. C19 double doors with fanlight over. Abutting the door surround is a ½-glazed barrel-vaulted walkway connecting the church with the parish hall of 1905. (Neither the walkway nor the hall are listed). Stone band above, Square window to the ringing chamber of 3 x 2 panes with a stone sill. Stone band above this below the belfry stage which has an arched window set in a relieving arch with a stone band at the level of the springing. Cyma-moulded string course above this below the level of the parapet which has stone corner piers with obelisk finials. The North and South sides have quarter-circular projections joining them with the western end of the nave at the level of the lowest stage. These each have one-quarter conical roofs. Above this both sides are similar to the western face save that the window of the bell chamber is replaced by a circular stone clock face with a moulded edge. Nave: North face; four round-arched windows with stone sills and a central stone panel which is rectangular and blank. Similar to south side but with a projecting lower transept to right hand bay of 1882 in similar style to the earlier building and with 2 round-arched windows to the west and one to the east and southern sides. Hipped roof. The vestry which has a keyed oculus window adjoins the east side and also the chancel which was rebuilt and extended in 1882 and has one southern and two northern windows and three eastern lights all of round arched form and all having panelled ashlar surrounds. The eastern gable end has a gable in the form of an open pediment. Interior: The nave ceiling has 3 Panels, the central one being octagonal with a large rosette to the centre bordered with anthemia. The chancel screen is richly moulded and has an inscription - TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF EDWARD DELVES BROUGHTON DIED OCTOBER 6th 1889. Oak panelling to chancel with oval sunflowers to the upper panels and Agnus Dei and Alpha and Omega signs to the reredos. The right hand chancel window is to a design of Burne-Jones and was made by William Morris and Co. Source: Nikolaus Pevsner - The Buildings of England : Cheshire and Edward Hubbard

Listing NGR: SJ6813053625

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 57015

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

End of official listing