CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1138586
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, BADDILEY HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138586.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:08:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, BADDILEY HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Baddiley
National Grid Reference:
SJ 60512 50344

Details

SJ 65 SW BADDILEY C.P. BADDILEY HALL LANE

3/2 Church of St. Michael

12,1.67

GV I

Parish church, chancel 1308 (dated vicars list) nave 1811 (Pevsner). red brick in Flemish bond and brick nogged timber frame with tile roof. Low 2-bay chancel, loftier 3-bay nave. The chancel (east) gable has cruck blades rising from vertical corner posts. There is a small trefoil window in the apex of the cruck, at yoke level, and a stained glass, 3-light "Y" tracery, memorial window, with rounded head, at altar level. The chancel north and south elevations are brick-nogged close-studding without rails. The chancel south door is Gothic headed with vertical boards externally and horizontal boards internally. It is hung on strap hinges, has oakcased lock and old metal latch. This is flanked by 3-light round-headed mullion windows with leaded lattice glazing and old coloured glass. Part of the chancel has a sandstone plinth. Lean-to-vestry has small window with intersecting tracery. The nave has a weathered, projecting, sandstone band, one metre above ground level, and is divided into bays by 3-bricks wide by l½-bricks deep pilaster-buttresses between windows and the corners.

Gothic headed 3-light nave windows with intersecting tracery, rectangular leaded lights, stone sills, springers, keystone and hoodmoulds. The windows nearest to the east gable, both sides, are blocked. The nave (west) gable-end has pairs of brick pilasters flanking an inset porch with Gothic head, springers and keystone. The porch contains side seats and a pair of double-faced panelled doors. The gable has planted timbers with plastered panels and is surmounted by a replaced, louvred, bell turret which sits astride the ridge. Interior: Oak communion rail, with splat balusters in Jacobean style, inscribed W:W D:CW dated 1701. Arch-braced rafter roof with high collars and ashlar pieces giving continuous curve, also an internal jointed cruck. One early C16 bench end with linenfold panelling and poppy-head. Marble wall memorial to Sir Thomas Mainwaring dated 1726. A six-panel door leads to the small vestry.

A screen, originally of six moulded posts, supporting a C15 style moulded beam at eaves level, separates the chancel from the nave. The plastered wall above this is divided into five panels by painted columns and the panels recite The Lord's Prayer, the 20th Chapter of Exodus, The Commandments and The Creed. The centre panel has two coats of arms including the Royal Arms and the date 1663. A three-tier panelled pulpit fronts the screen on the north side of the nave: this is softwood with Gothic headed panels. The nave is fitted with softwood bead-and-flush panelled box pews. Octagonal stone font contains alabaster vessel with flame shaped knob. The west gallery is supported by four 3-shaft timber columns and is fronted by Gothic headed panels. The access to the Gallery is via a staircase of winders. At Gallery level two wall panels record wills of benefactors who left money to the poor of the parish. The nave ceiling is formed into panels by C15 style moulded purlins supported by moulded cambered tie beams with braces to carved timber bosses. Plastered wall and ceilings.

Listing NGR: SJ6051150344

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
56872
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04239/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Howard W Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].