Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of THE CHAPEL OF SAINT NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138593.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:25:49.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 54464 51638



1/21 The chapel of Saint Nicholas 12.1.67


Private chapel, late C15 with 1655 internal alterations, rebuilt in brickwork in 1717 and transepts added in 1829 (County Record Office). Red brick with slate roof. 3-bay chancel and transepts, 2-bay nave, cruciform plan. Brick plinth with moulded stone cornice and rusticated quoins. The west entrance, to the family pew, is approached up nine stone steps with ornamental cast iron balustrade. The pair of three-panel doors, in wood frame, has a wide projecting moulded stone surround with archivolt and blank tympanum. The door is flanked by built-up window openings. There are pairs of three-panel doors, in plain frames, with blank overlights and bracketed hoods to north and south transept (public) entrances. These are surmounted by keyed oculi with leaded lights and stained glass central inserts. Windows are generally single and high-transome leaded lights with moulded sills and semi-circular arches with springers and keystones. There is a bullseye, in stone frame, over the low vestry hipped roof. The main roofs have blue hip tiles, lead valleys and wide boarded eaves soffites. Interior: The elaborate full height oak panelling dates from 1651-55 and is an outstanding example of the craftmanship of that time. The hammer beam chancel roof dates from the late C15 but the carved trefoil panels, daggers and angels heads indicate that only the canted beams and purlins of the roof remained unaltered after the C17 alteration. The chancel screen dates from 1655, and consists of six carved corinthian columns supporting an elaborate cornice of strapwork, brackets and dentils surmounted by the carved arms of Lord Leinster, facing east, and the Earls of Cholmondeley facing west. The centre arched opening in the screen has pendant and vine motifs. The communion rail is oak, in five panels, with cross, diamond and roundel motifs. The choir stalls are early C19 oak box pews panelled to contrast slightly with the wall panelling. The large east window contains fragments of Flemish monastic stained glass, with Latin inscriptions, collected by the first Marquis. A stone shell - font, with built-up ogee oak cover and crucifix handle, is against north wall of the chancel. Near the south transept the chancel screen is fronted by a carved oak Jacobean style pulpit approached up a short flight of steps with turned balusters. An oak reading desk occupies a similar position near the north transept, both date from the 1655 alterations. Commandment boards, dated 1655, formerly in the chancel, now occupy positions over the pulpit and reading desk. The transepts are separated from the nave by a triple arcade based on plastered brick piers with moulded caps. he nave and transepts are fitted with softwood panelled box pews dating from 1829. A flight of seven steps, with turned balusters both sides, leads to the family pew. This has an oak panelled rail and panelled walls also a pedimented panel over the west entrance with flanking birds-head scroll brackets. The chapel has plastered walls and ceilings with wide coved cornice. There are six funeral hatchments, in diamond shaped frames, and three religious oil paintings hung from the chapel walls. The chancel woodwork has been described by F H Crossley as "the most valuable post-Reformation church furniture we possess in the country". F.I. Dunn in The Ancient Chapel of the Lords of Cholmondeley, March 1978

Listing NGR: SJ5446651639


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Dunn, FI , The Ancient Chapel of the Lords of Cholmondeley, (1978)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 6 Cheshire,


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06446/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J M Pickering. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].