CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1138611
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, GOLDFORD LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138611.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 23:42:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, GOLDFORD LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bickerton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 51011 53550

Details

SJ 55 SW BICKERTON GOLDFORD LANE



4/3 Church of the Holy Trinity

12.1.67

II Built as chapel, within Malpas Parish, 1839 by Edmund Sharpe became parish church in 1869. The chancel dates from 1875 and the baptistry replaced the west porch in 1911 (dates inside church). Red sandstone with slate roof, in Lancet style. Single-bay chancel, 3-bay nave, small octagonal west baptistry. Triple lancet window to chancel (east) gable end, three separate stepped lancets to nave (west) gable end and single lancets elsewhere, all have stained glass and labels above. The vestry projection (north) and organ chamber (south) give the church a cruciform plan. Weathered plinth, clasping buttresses to chancel, buttresses between nave windows and angle buttresses to nave corners. Nave entrance (west) has pitch pine door with Gothic head and ornamental strap hinges which is fronted by a timber and leaded-light porch which is framed off a low stone wall. The apex of the porch is timbered and boarded and has a pitched roof. Gables have copings with kneelers and the west gable and single bell-cote. The baptistry has a pyramidal roof with cross finial. Interior: Oak panelled reredos. Communion rail on triple heavily scrolled metal supports. Oak memorial screen, with head tracery, surmounted by oak cross has the inscription "Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for his friends". The oak pulpit is integral with the screen. The Oak organ case is inscribed "Praise ye the Lord". There is a pair of oak vestry doors with tracery heads and inscription, an oak lectern and alabaster memorials to former vicars on the nave walls. An octagonal stone font with wood and metal cover is inscribed "one Lord-one Faith-one Baptism-one God and Father-one body-one spirit-one hope". The Baptistry has oak panelling to window sill level. Chancel and Nave have scissor-braced rafters.

Listing NGR: SJ5101153550

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
56842
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/14637/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr R. A. Brierley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].