CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1138815

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1963

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, POOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138815 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:15:25.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, POOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ince

National Grid Reference: SJ 44986 76352

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLESMERE PORT & NESTON POOL LANE SJ 4476 8/47 Church of St James 26.9.63 GV II * Partly rebuilt 1854 by Edward Hodkinson. Red sandstone church with nave, north aisle, chancel and south porch roofed in grey slate, and west tower. Chancel has C14 3-light east window with original simple tracery, and two C15 2-light square-headed windows in each side wall. c.1485-93 tower by Simon Ripley, raised 2 courses in 1854, with diagonal buttresses; 2-light traceried windows to upper storey, with blank niche in west wall below. Nave (including aisle) and porch wholly rebuilt 1854 in erpendicular style. INTERIOR: C17 oak arch- braced collar roof to chancel. Bells 1622 and 1636. Late C17 altar rail with spiral turned balusters. 1634 carved oak sanctuary chair. Early C18 brass candelabrum in chancel. C19 stained glass.

Listing NGR: SJ4498676352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 56309

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing