Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1138849
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Church Lane, Nether Alderley, SK10 4TW

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138849.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:01:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Mary, Church Lane, Nether Alderley, SK10 4TW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Nether Alderley
National Grid Reference:
SJ8417076141

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21/01/2020

SJ 87 NW 4/115

NETHER ALDERLEY C.P. CHURCH LANE Church of St Mary

(Formerly listed under CHURCH DRIVE)

14/4/1967

GV I Church: C14 core, early C16 tower, early C17 additions, chancel of 1856 by Cuffley and Starkey, vestry dated 1860, general restoration 1877-78 by Austin and Paley. Ashlar buff and red sandstone. Kerridge stone-slate roof, four-bay nave and aisles, three-bay chancel, massive four-stage tower and south porch.

Porch has diagonal buttresses, crocketted pinnacles on the gable and a segmentally arched entrance. Studded oak door with iron strap hinges in pointed arch behind. South aisle has a three-light window with trefoil cusped heads and the two-storey exterior of the Stanley pew (approached by a flight of stone steps to the right) with rectangular windows of five round-headed lights. Clerestorey with simple two-light windows. Chancel in Decorated style, the east window with reticulated tracery. North aisle has an inserted Jacobean dormer probably to light three-decker pulpit. Tower has diagonal buttresses and bands at each stage. Pointed arched doorcase with Victorian Decorated west window. Simple two-light window in third stage and a pair of louvred two-light Y-traceried bell openings above. Gorgoyles support an embattled parapet.

Interior: four-bay arcades on octagonal piers and with weakly pointed arches. South aisle contains the Stanley flying pew. Jacobean arcaded panelling to front with painted heraldry and a C18 Gothick hood. Inside is further panelling containing some medieval carving and a coved pyramidal Jacobean strapwork ceiling with a pendant. C18 musician's gallery has arms of Stanleys and other local landowners and now contains an organ of 1875 In chancel two Victorian recumbant effigies, the first Lord Stanley by Richard Westmacott jnr, the second Lord Stanley by George Nelson with cosmatiesque work and a brass panel showing Lady Stanley and her ten children.

C14 font with plain circular bowl with carved head bosses on a cluster of four columns is very similar to Prestbury. Nave has a panelled barrel roof with cambered moulded tiebeams and the aisles have moulded panelled lean-to roofs (Pevsner and Hubbard).

The flying pew is unique in Cheshire, and the similarity of the tower with that in Mobberley suggests it is also by Richard Platt.

Listing NGR: SJ8417076141

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58281
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Apr 2005
Reference: IOE01/12711/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].