Church of St. Philip and St James

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1138867
Date first listed:
06-Jul-1984
Statutory Address:
Church of St. Philip and St James, Church Lane, Alderley Edge

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St. Philip and St James
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138867.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Apr-2020 at 08:08:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St. Philip and St James, Church Lane, Alderley Edge

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Alderley Edge
National Grid Reference:
SJ 84188 78628

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/10/2018

SJ 87 NW 4/52

ALDERLEY EDGE C.P. CHURCH LANE Church of St. Philip and St James

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Phillip)

GV II* Church: 1853 and south aisle and spire 1857 by J.S Crowther, vestry added 1903 by F.P Oakley. Hammer-dressed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Roof of bands of green, grey, and blue-grey slates and a pierced ridge. Decorated style with reticulated tracery. Six-bay nave and aisles, each under own ridge, three-bay chancel, hexagonal vestry and four-stage south west tower and spire.

Aisles have bays, divided by buttresses, each containing a two-light window. Similar chancel but with priest's door with trefoil cusped head and ornate iron hinges, and ending in diagonal buttresses with crocketted pinnacles. East window of four-lights has ogee shaped hood. Tower has angle buttresses. Deeply rebated porch door on three colonnettes has label mould on carved head stops, single lights in next two stages and ornate surrounds to two-light louvred bell openings. Tall spire has three levels of lucarnes.

Interior: six-bay arcade has round columns to north aisle and octagonal to south. Chancel arch stands on engaged semi-hexagonal columns. Chancel has a sedilia on the south wall and a piscina on the north both with trefoil cusped heads. Finely carved reredos of Last Supper (of 1903) and delicate panelling to simple choir stalls, pulpit and organ screen of 1907. Morris window of 1873 in south aisle. Wagon roofs throughout.

Though built in two stages the church must have been conceived as a whole and has a powerful exterior, correct in its detailing by the co-author with Bowman of Churches of the Middle Ages.

Listing NGR: SJ8418878628

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58218
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11241/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J M Pickering. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].