This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WINCLE GRANGE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WINCLE GRANGE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1138880

Location

WINCLE GRANGE FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wincle

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jun-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 58147

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WINCLE C.P. SJ 96 NE

2/40 Wincle Grange Farmhouse (formerly listed as Wincle Grange 25.7.1952 including chapel remains)

GV II*

House (formerly a grange of Combermere Abbey); the land was granted circa 1200; the present building may date from mid C14 (VCH), but its oldest visible features are probably late C15. The north west wing is probably early C18 altered and repaired C19 and mid C20. Reddish-buff sandstone with Kerridge stone-slate roofs. The south east wing, probably at first the great hall, is now of 2 storeys and attic; the north west wing, lower, has 2 storeys. North east side: The older wing (left) is of 2 storeys and 2 windows, each of 3 trefoil lights with hollow-moulded mullions and blank trefoils in spandrels; the lower left window is blocked, the others have C19 painted wood or iron windows shaped to openings with iron small-pane casements; stone chimney flush with wall; the north west wing has C19 tile-roofed stone lean-to containing porch and former wash-house. South east end: One window to each main storey and in gable to attic; to lower storey 4 trefoil lights, hollow-moulded mullions, blank trefoils in spandrels and old rectangular leaded glazing; to upper storey 3 square-headed lights with late C20 small-pane wood casements; to attic as to lower storey but with 3 lights; lower storey hoodmould with battlemented top; upper storey altered hoodmould with zig-zag carving and 2 repositioned quatrefoils; coped gable with squat fleur-de-lys stone finial. South west side: 2 storeys and 2 windows to the south east wing; the upper left and lower windows are of Georgian proportions; lower right has camber arch with keystone, lower and upper left are in plain openings with lintels, upper right is mullioned with 3 lights (as window in the south east end) and carved zig-zag band above flanked each side by incised quatrefoil. The north west wing has 3 door openings, that to left blocked; the lower storey window opening (left) and both to upper storey have lintels with keystones. All windows to the south west are late C20 small-pane casements; late C20 boarded doors. The Interior is much altered since built. The south-east wing, now 2 rooms per floor probably contained the great hall. An embedded oak hood-beam indicates a walled-up inglenook central on north-east wall; a Victorian stone fireplace is in the east corner. The space walled up is stated to contain a spiral stair. Some stop-chamfered oak beams; a massive queen-strut truss of oak in the attic is altered to take doorway. Balusters (brought in) at head of a plain, straight stair. J M Dodgson The Placements of Cheshire Part 1, 1970; J P Earwaker East Cheshire Volume 2 circa 1880, (Ormerod History of Cheshire V.3 edited T Helsby 1882; V C H Cheshire V.3 editor B E Harris.

Listing NGR: SJ9554865412

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dodgson, J McN, The Place Names of Cheshire Part 1, (1970)
Earwacker, JP, East Cheshire, (1880)
Ormerod, , History of Cheshire, (1882)
Thacker, A, The Victoria History of the County of Cheshire, (1987)

National Grid Reference: SJ 95548 65412

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1138880 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 10:52:39.

End of official listing