This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ST PANCRAS PUBLIC BATHS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST PANCRAS PUBLIC BATHS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALLS

List entry Number: 1139080

Location

ST PANCRAS PUBLIC BATHS AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND WALLS, PRINCE OF WALES ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Camden

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477810

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ2884NE PRINCE OF WALES ROAD 798-1/54/1349 (North side) 14/05/74 St Pancras Public Baths and attached railings and walls

II

Public baths, swimming baths & launderette, formerly with wash house and public hall. 1898-1900. By TW Aldwinckle; interior altered and modernised 1960. Red brick with terracotta bands and dressings. Steeply pitched slate roofs. Large rectangular block in free Tudor/Francois Premier style. EXTERIOR: main block, fronting Prince of Wales Road, 3 storeys and attics; 2 storeys and single storey buildings at rear. Asymmetrical facade with recessed stair turrets terminating in conical roofs at angles. Right hand bay with triple-arcaded entrances each having double part-glazed panelled doors and patterned fanlight. Keystones and intermittent bands to architraved arch heads. Dentil terracotta frieze with scrolled acanthus enrichment at 1st floor sill level, continuing around the main block, here with "Public Hall" in gold coloured Art Nouveau lettering above central entrance. Upper floors with 3 architraved 2-light transom and mullion small paned windows; 1st floor with cornices; 2nd floor with cornices extending up into segmental hoods over niches between windows containing statues of St Pancras and St George. Venetian type attic window in large gable, stepped at base, and terminating with a segmental pediment. Central bay with central round-arched terracotta entrance of three quarter columns supporting architraved head with keystone and intermittent bands. From impost level pilasters, terminating in mythical creatures, flank a triangular pediment with a cartouche in the tympanum inscribed "Men's First Class". In the spandrels, reclining river gods, left hand with bas relief of Tower Bridge in background. Cast-iron gates to impost height; recessed doorways replaced by brick walls with 2 windows each. Entrance flanked by architraved 3 light transom and mullion windows. 1st floor sill frieze with "St. Pancras Public Baths" in Art Nouveau lettering above this and left hand bay. Architraved Venetian type 5-light transom and mullion window above entrance and two 3-light transom and mullion windows at 2nd floor level. Left hand bay with similar entrance; cartouche inscribed "Men's Second Class" and reclining figures of Aqua and Eura in the spandrels. Similar 1st floor window and 3-light Venetian type window at 2nd floor level. Bay terminates in small gable



with segmental pediment. Narrow single light window to left on each floor. Behind right hand gable roof rises to a 2 stage lantern terminating with ogee lead canopy. Tall enriched brick chimney-stacks. Right hand return to Willes Road with 2 gabled bays similar to Public Hall entrance; 11 bay buttressed baths facade with 3 entrances and blind arcading at 1st floor level. 2 storey extension with entrance and 5-light bay window to 1st and 2nd floor with cast-iron colonnettes. Left hand return to Grafton Road with 1960 entrance; central block with massive crow stepped gable terminating with segmental pediment. Stone surround to central blind entrance with enriched panel; brick bands at ground floor level. 5-light Venetian type window in projecting bay above with dentil cornice and enriched panel dated 1900; flanked by blind arcading with triangular pediments. Left hand block with 2 plainer terracotta entrances flanking a 4-light oriel window. Right hand entrance inscribed "Ladies Baths". INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings on low sleeper walls to areas. Foundation stone on right hand angle dated 13 May 1900.





Listing NGR: TQ2878684766

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 28786 84766

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139080 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 04:53:40.

End of official listing