Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139320.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:11:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Warrington (Unitary Authority)
Grappenhall and Thelwall
National Grid Reference:
SJ 63943 86300


SJ 68 NW 1/7

GRAPPENHALL C.P. CANAL SIDE (north side) Church of St.Wilfrid


GV I Church, C12 (nave and corbel-table), 1334 (South Chapel), 1525-39 (tower and most of fabric), 1834 and 1874 (clerestorey). Red sandstone with slate roof. West tower, aisled nave with south chapel, chancel, vestry and north transept. Tower of 3 stages has Tudor-arched west door, restored 4-light west window with panel tracery, diagonal west buttresses and square east buttresses, paired bell-openings with quatrefoil heads and crenellation. Aisle windows have round-headed mullioned lights. South chapel has reticulated tracery. Clerestorey windows have paired round-headed lights. Vestry east window (moved from chancel) has 5 lights with panel tracery.The south porch and north transept are probably 1874, by Paley and Austin.

Interior. Continuous nave and chancel of 7 bays with 6-bay aisles. Octagonal pillars with plainly-moulded caps carry double-chamfered arches. Easternmost south window of south aisle has C14 glass (re-arranged 1834) depicting St. John Baptist, St. Thomas, St. Bartholomew (flayed, carrying his skin over right arm), St. Mary Magdalene, St. James (or a pilgrim), St. Philip and an unidentified saint. The east window of south aisle by Mayer of Munich and London. Fragments of medieval glass elsewhere. Effigy in chancel (north side)of Sir William Boydell, died 1275, found in churchyard and placed in church 1874, restored. Norman arcaded rectangular font, found in churchyard and reinstated in nave 1874. C13 dugout chest. Peal of 8 bells: 5 by Bagley of Ecton Northants 1700, one by Richard Sanders 1718, the treble recast by J. Taylor of Loughborough 1890 and the 4th by Mears and Stainbank, who supplied 2 new bells, 1890.

Listing NGR: SJ6394286299


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/06418/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Catherine M. Lees. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].