CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139336

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139336 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 05:53:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Henbury

National Grid Reference: SJ 88140 73622

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HENBURY C.P. CHURCH LANE SJ 87 SE

7/15 Church of St Thomas

-

G.V. II

Church. 1844-5. By Richard Lane (Colvin). Chancel of c.1870. Coursed rubble with plain and fishscale tile roof. West tower, nave chancel and south-eastern vestry. Western tower of 2 stages with octangonal spire. Blind wall to lower stage and clasping buttresses with off-sets. Stone band between stages and louvred lancet bell-opening above having a hood mould with decorated end-stops. West front: lower wall projects to level of face of clasping buttresses thus allowing a deep reveal to the west door. Above this the wall is recessed between the buttresses as on the other faces. Two-light decorated window with cusping and quatrefoil to apex and hood-mould with floral end-stops. Circular clock face above and lancet above that as in southern and northern fronts. Broach spire with lucarnes to alternate faces. Nave of 5 bays. South front has projecting plinths supporting pilaster buttresses of the same depth which rise to 3/4 of height of wall and then die via off-sets. Simple lancet windows between with ashlar quoins and voussoirs. Gabled porch to second bay from west of later date than main building. Simple corbel table below eaves. Vestry adjoining and obscuring chancel has gabled end with central gable chimney stack. North front: similar save for absence of vestry and quarter-octagonal stair turret in angle between west wall of nave and west tower. Bands of fish-scale tiling to nave and chancel roof alternating with plain tiles. Interior: Very deeply chamfered arch to chancel with pulpit set against right hand reveal; passage staircase to pulpit from vestry. Enriched pulpit and capitals and east window of 3 lights with 2 sexfoil and one cinquefoil to apex. Stained glass of c.1860 western organ gallery supported on iron columns. Monuments to Edward Marsland of 1869 by M Noble and E Thomas Marsland also of 1869 by M Noble.

Listing NGR: SJ8814073622

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59055

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)

End of official listing