CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139514

Date first listed: 03-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, THE AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:56:07.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN, THE AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: High Legh

National Grid Reference: SJ 70030 84119

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 78 SW HIGH LEGH C.P. THE AVENUE

4/34 Church of St John

-

- II

1893. By Edmund Kirby. Ashlar, red Flemish bond brick and timber framing with rendered infill. Tile roof. Tower, narthex, south western porch, nave, chancel and south eastern vestry. The stone lower walls to the whole body of the church are a retention of the lower walls of the former church by Thomas Harrison destroyed by fire in 1891, the small off-set buttresses being additions by Kirby. Western narthex : timber framed walls with lean-to roof abutting main body of nave. Central western window of 4 casement lights with timber-framed gable above. One 2-light window to each side. Porch adjoins to right as a continuation of narthex with 1/2-hipped roof and one 2-light window to west and east side-walls. Tower of 2 further stages rises from narthex. Bay window to first stage of 4 mullioned lights to west with 2 transoms and 2 mullioned lights to sides. Coving above with timber framed gable. Brick belfry-stage above with its louvred openings to each face. Double-pitch roof with lead spire above. South front: skin of close-studding, nave of 3 bays with porch to left. Windows have flat lintels and 4 lights of Perpendicular tracery. Vestry to right projecting to south. ½ hipped roof to south with 6-light casement window below eaves. Chancel: brick with late liacorated eastern window. Interior: Western internal wall between nave and narthex timber- framed with leaded casement windows to narthex at left and right of large central glazed opening to towers. Other internal walls of brick. Deeply chamfered window reveals with double 1/4 circle moulded stone corbels supporting a continuous wooden lintel with roll moulding and brattishing. Coving above lintel of row of cells of small framing. South eastern most bay of nave has double wooden arched opening to vestry. Pointed brick chancel arch with continuous moulding to ground. Roof retiled 1982.

Listing NGR: SJ7003084119

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58527

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing