CHAPEL OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1139516
Date first listed:
05-Mar-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Sep-1984
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST MARY, PHEASANT WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHAPEL OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139516.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 16:24:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF ST MARY, PHEASANT WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
High Legh
National Grid Reference:
SJ 70071 83932

Details

SJ 78 SW HIGH LEGH C.P. PHEASANT WALK

4/43 Chapel of St Mary (formerly listed as Chapel)

5.3.59

- II*

Chapel. c.1581, the south aisle of 1836 and the chancel of 1884 by J Oldrid Scott. Ashlar with tiled roof. Aisled nave with choir and chancel. West facade: Central projecting porch with pilasters to sides with bases and rising to consoles supporting cornice with central armigerous overthrow above. 2-lightPerpendicular windows to either side. 3-light Perpendicular window above porch with semi-circular relieving arch over. Square bell turret to gable apex. C19 chimney to left hand side. North front: doorway to left with Tudor arch with oeil-de-boeuf window to its left. Two 3-light casement windows to right. C19 gabled dormer clerestory windows, that to left set slightly higher, all with decorated bargeboards and bargeposts. 2-light C19 perpendicular chancel window to left. East front: 4-light C19 Perpendicular window. South Front: 4 round-arched windows with 3 semi-circular lights. Gables above with kneelers to sides. One dormer clerestory window at far left of nave with decorated bargeboards and post as on north front. Interior: 3-bay nave with octagonal wooden piers to aisles with arched braces extending on four sides to aisle roof principals, to lateral ovolo-moulded beams and to have roof trusses of cambered tie beam, collar and angle braces. Two purlins with wind bracing and ridge. Chamfered reveals to north aisle windows and bead moulded mullions. Upper clerestory dormer windows of 4 casement lights. C19 pargetting to ceiling of Tudor roses. Fleurs de lys and stars. Pews to nave of L858 by Butterfield, wainscotting and screens of 1884 by J Oldrid Scott. Pulpit constructed of vigorously carved C17 panels, incorporated by Butterfield, with animal heads and figures of saints. A reading desk of similar format, 2 chairs with terms to sides and an altar rail with balusters formed of figure carvings.

Listing NGR: SJ7007183932

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58533
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/01336/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Barrie S. Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].