Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139628 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 02:09:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 53092 16709


ORMESBY CHURCH LANE west side NZ 51 NW (off) 6/31 Church of St. Cuthbert G.V. II

Church, 1875 by Hicks and Charlewood, incorporating re-dressed masonry from C12 church, on Anglo Saxon foundation. North porch 1887/89, reconstructed 1969. Late C19 vestry and organ chamber. Tower 1907. Dressed sandstone, with medieval grave covers and carved fragments in south walls. Welsh slate roofs on nave and vestry; Lakeland slate on organ chamber, felt on chancel and oak shingles on spire. West tower; nave with north aisle, north porch and south-west vestry; chancel with south organ chamber. Decorated style with plate and reticulated tracery. 3-stage tower has moulded plinth, angle buttresses and string courses between stages. Pointed west window in lower stage; pointed bell openings with louvres; other windows rectangular; all with tracery and hoodmoulds. Embattled parapet with crocketed angle pinnacles. Octagonal needle spire with iron weather vane. 4-bay nave and aisle, and 2-bay chancel, with continuous chamfered plinth. Projecting porch has boarded double doors in pointed moulded surround under hoodmould and enriched spandrels. Deep moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet with cross finial. Nave and aisle have 2-light windows under hoodmoulds, between offset buttresses. Low parapets with roll-moulded copings. Chancel has pointed windows, embattled parapet and cross finial. Lean-to organ chamber.

Interior: 4-bay pointed, double-chamfered north arcade has round and octagonal columns and continuous hoodmoulds. Pointed tower arch of 3 moulded orders, the inner on tapered corbels. Similar chancel arch of 2 orders. Wide chamfered, pointed vestry opening, springing at floor level, holding wood screen. Shallow roof trusses have short crown posts, through purlins, ties with curved braces and wall posts on corbels. Timber fan-vaulted tower ceiling with Tudor-rose bosses. Sanctuary has marble floor, carved wood panelling and retable with 4 figures of saints under enriched pinnacled canopies, 1889. Early/mid C20 carved choir benches. Oak rood screen, c.1914, with slender columns, drop tracery, brattishing and cross finial. Richly-carved octagonal stone pulpit of 1897. Carved octagonal stone font on short column and 2 steps. Early C20 2-tier lantern cover with crocketed spire, by H.L. Hicks. Stained glass: east window probably by Wailes c.1871, west window 1875, north aisle c.1900 by H.A. Hymers (Chelsea), south-east window in nave 1875. Sculptured late C14 grave cover depicting recumbent female figure, on late C19 base. 2 painted bequest boards in vestry.

Listing NGR: NZ5309216709


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00845/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Porteous. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].