This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

List entry Number: 1139638

Location

CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Redcar and Cleveland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 23-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 60308

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDCAR KIRKLEATHAM NZ 52 SE 4/52 Church of St. Cuthbert 23.6.52 G.V. I

Church c.1763, by Robert Corney (Coatham), architect and builder; lower part of tower 1731; late C18 porch; vestry 1855. On site of Anglo-Saxon church; adjoining mausoleum of 1740 q.v. Vertically-tooled sandstone ashlar; dressed sandstone to lower 3 stages of tower. Roofs of Lakeland slate, lead and felt. Palladian style. West tower; aisled nave with south porch; chancel with north tomb chamber and vestry. 4-stage tower has chamfered plinth, and vice and buttress in angles between tower and nave. 4-panel door in north face; circular west window with plain surround, below round-headed window with keystone, both with leaded glazing. Top stage has chamfered quoins and louvred round-headed bell openings with keystones. Cornice on consoles, under straight parapet with obelisk angle finials, each on 4 spheres. 4-bay nave with projecting porch in western bay. 3-panel double doors in architrave with double keystone, under pediment on consoles. Straight parapet with moulded copings; flat roof. Porch obscures lower part of taller, pedimented doorway in round-headed recess. Round-headed windows with plain inset surrounds and aprons, in tall recesses with moulded impost bands. Early C20 leaded glazing. Blocked north doorway holds similar window. Nave and chancel have plinth, chamfered quoins, modillioned eaves cornice and parapet with moulded copings. 3-bay chancel has blind round-headed niches flanking central round-headed recess with moulded impost bands, holding doorway with architrave and double keystone under pediment on consoles, now holding mid C20 window. Similar recess in east wall holds Ionic Venetian window; pedimented gable. Hipped mansard roof on nave. Lean-to tomb chamber and flat-roofed vestry. INTERIOR: 4-bay Roman Doric colonnades define aisles. Windows have stucco archivolts and moulded impost strings. Doorways have pediments on consoles. 3-bay pedimented Ionic screen fronts former tomb chamber, now obscurred by early C20 organ. Pointed Gothick doorway to mausoleum (q.v.) 1740 by Gibbs; moulded stone surround holds carved partly open-traceried doors under stucco open pediment on consoles with drops, vase at apex flanked by reclining putti; winged angel head in tympanum above festoons. Corniced ceilings with 2 late C19 louvred circular gas vents in nave. Stained glass, 1931 by A.K. Nicholson (London) in east window. Altered box pews, and inlaid panelled pulpit. Panelled choir stalls, 1919, with carving and poppy-head ends. Panelled oak altar and dado panelling in chancel, 1931 by Hicks and Charlewood (Newcastle). Balusters missing from carved communion rails. Marble wall monuments in chancel. On north wall, to John Turner and Elizabeth Turner, c.1659 by Joshua Marshall : cartouche with latin epitaph and skull finial, in niche with moulded surround and carved shields in spandrels, in aedicule with sculptured achievement of arms and bolection-moulded apron. On south wall, life-sized figure of John Turner, d.1688, robed as Sergeant-at-Law, in enriched aedicule with arms and epitaph. C17 floor slabs; and brass to Robert Coulthirst d.1631: male figure, arms of Merchant Taylor's Company and inscribed border, on sanctuary floor. C15 floor slabs in nave, one the matrix of a brass. Carved C14 grave cover showing recumbent female figure; and Anglo-Saxon coffin. Marble octagonal baluster font, on wide stone step, c.1740 probably by Gibbs: gadrooning to underside of bowl with moulded rim. C17 carved wood octagonal tented cover.

Listing NGR: NZ5941421823

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 59406 21818

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139638 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 06:32:00.

End of official listing