CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1139699
Date first listed:
20-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, GRINKLE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139699.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 06:59:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, GRINKLE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Loftus
National Park:
NORTH YORK MOORS
National Grid Reference:
NZ 74441 18013

Details

LOFTUS GRINKLE LANE NZ 71 NW (west side), Easington. 1/14 Church of All Saints. 20.1.67 G.V. II Church 1888/89, by C. Hodgson Fowler (on plaque in chancel). Chevron-tooled dressed sandstone; Lakeland slate roofs with stone ridge and gable copings and cross finials. Decorated style. Nave with north aisle, chancel, north-east vestry and organ chamber, and west tower. Continuous chamfered plinth. 3-stage tower has 5 steps to double-chamfered south doorway under continuous hoodmould. Tall, pointed west window above square, mullioned window. Vice at north-east angle. Chamfered rectangular bell openings, those to west and east with open-work clock faces. Embattled parapet above coved cornice with watershots. Pyramidal roof has cock weather vane. Nave of 3 bays defined by buttresses between chamfered, pointed windows with curvilinear tracery, hoodmoulds, and sill strings. Similar 2-bay chancel with ogee-headed south doorway. Chamfered rectangular windows in north aisle. Circular window in gable of organ chamber. Interior: tall chamfered tower arch holding panelled doors and glazed screen. Nave plastered, with stone dressings. Double-chamfered pointed north arcade has compound piers with round shafts, moulded capitals and bases, under continuous hoodmould. Chamfered chancel arch has double-chamfered head and short responds on long tapered corbels. Hammerbeam roof with 2 tiers of curved windbraces, and arched braces to hammerposts and collars. Phinted, panelled wagon roof in chancel. Parclose screen in north aisle Lady Chapel, with altar, chairs, bookrests and other furnishings, 1934, by Thompson of Kilburn. Good stained glass in east window, 1892 and in chancel and north aisle by Walter E. Tower, 1907/08. Monument, 1621, to Katheran Conyers, in north wall of tower; tablet with inscription above late C19 basket-arched niche holding cot with sleeping child, on bracketed shelf. Built into south wall of tower, on first floor, are remains of C12 chancel arch of 3 moulded orders: beakhead, hollow-chamfer with pellets, and bobbin, with moulded reveal; and remains of round shafts with carved capitals. Grave cover c.1300, in sanctuary, has foliate cross and stem and metal inscription in Norman French to Robert Bucell. Many fragments of grave covers and carved stones in tower and nave. Broken base of medieval cross, with recumbent tapered shaft, and part of a carved hogback grave cover, outside south-west angle of tower.

Listing NGR: NZ7444118013

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60165
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03954/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].