BOUNDARY WALL, 250 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF PRIORY GARDENS COTTAGE
List Entry Summary
Name: BOUNDARY WALL, 250 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF PRIORY GARDENS COTTAGE
List entry Number: 1139803
BOUNDARY WALL, 250 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF PRIORY GARDENS COTTAGE, BOW STREET
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Redcar and Cleveland
District Type: Unitary Authority
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 25-Apr-1984
Date of most recent amendment: 13-Dec-2012
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: LBS
List entry Description
Summary of Building
Boundary wall, late-C17/early-C18 with C19 and early-C20 alterations.
Reasons for Designation
The late-C17/early-C18 boundary wall 250m to the north-east of Priory Gardens Cottage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic: as a built element of the designed landscape at Gisborough Priory Gardens * Group value: for its association with numerous other listed structures and the scheduled Gisborough Priory ruins, which together provide physical evidence as to the story of an historically significant site with a great time depth * Date: for its retention of pre-1840, most probably pre-1700, fabric
The lands belonging to the former Priory were first leased by Thomas Chaloner in 1547, who subsequently purchased them in 1550 for £998. It was not until the death of Edward Chaloner in 1680 that the family moved to the site. Edward’s son William constructed a mansion on Bow Street, known as Old Hall, and it was at this point that the gardens were developed. The standing stonework of the Priory was incorporated into the ornamental gardens to provide a setting to the Hall. Research into the gardens has identified three main phases; 1709, 1773-1805 and 1854.
This boundary wall dates to the first phase of garden development, appearing on plans of the garden based on Kip’s 1709 engraving. By 1854, the south-west end of the wall had been altered to curve southwards; this was later truncated. The north end of the wall was also truncated through the insertion of a later boundary wall which separated it from the Priory ruins (designated Grade II as part of the boundary walls to the Priory ruins, list entry 1139767).
MATERIALS: brick with flat stone copings to the east and dressed sandstone to the south.
PLAN: the eastern section runs north-south. At the southern end the wall turns west.
DESCRIPTION: there is a round-arched opening with a wood-plank door to the centre of the eastern section. The south section running east-west is topped by corrugated iron in parts and flat coping stones in others. The height drops to the west. There is an inserted doorway accessed via sunken steps, as well as an inserted opening onto a ramp with coping stones. These would have provided access to the greenhouses and the frames which were built abutting the wall’s southern face.
Books and journals
Gisborough Priory Project, , The Lost Gardens of Gisborough Priory, (2008)
Reid Jubb Brown Partnership for Gisborough Priory Project, The Strategic and Operational Plan for the Gisborough Priory Gardens, May 2006,
National Grid Reference: NZ6178516014
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139803 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 07:01:44.
End of official listing