CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139807

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139807 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 02:43:39.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST OSWALD, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Guisborough

National Grid Reference: NZ 56924 13255

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ51SE GUISBOROUGH CHURCH LANE (WEST SIDE) NEWTON-UNDER- ROSEBERRY 4/54 Church of St. Oswald.

II*

Church, C12, on earlier foundation (north side), with chancel of 1857, west tower of 1901 by Temple Moore and mid/late C17 porch. Dressed sandstone, except for tower of sandstone ashlar; Westmorland slate roofs. Blocked round-headed doorway in north wall of nave. Other openings in nave and chancel inserted or altered mid C19 to early C20. Gabled porch with Columbus cross finial, and medieval grave cover used as lintel. Broad, squat 3-stage tower, with embattled parapet, angle buttresses and Anglo-Saxon carved corner stone in south side of vice. Internally, the tower is open to full height of nave by two-centred arch with inner vestry screen wall. C12 chancel arch, either side of which are squints (10cm square). Traces of medieval fresco on south wall of nave. Medieval cross-head used as lintel above piscina of c1900. Norman circular drum-shaped font, the sides of which have continuous intersecting blind arcading and imposts and cable moulding at rim. (V.C.H. North Riding, Vol. II, pp. 275-6; and N. Pevsner, " .... North Riding", 1966, p.268).

Listing NGR: NZ5692413255

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59922

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 275-6
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The North Riding, (1966), 268

End of official listing