CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1139865

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA, BOUNDARY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 18:36:01.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST COLUMBA, BOUNDARY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 49139 20579

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLESBROUGH BOUNDARY ROAD. NZ 4920 NW 7/10 Church of St. Columba (formerly listed as Cannon Street). - II Wrongly shown on 0.S plan as: Cannon Street. Church, 1900/02 by Temple Moore. Brick, in English bond, with sparse sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roofs. Overall irregular, roughly- octagonal plan, designed to fit site. Disoriented, terms used are ritual. Continuous aisled nave and chancel, with east chapel, south porch, and west tower with west porch. Early English style. Hexagonal-plan 3-stage tower has slightly-projecting gabled porch with boarded double doors in Caernarvon-headed opening, under blind fanlight, in stepped surround. Canted projecting stair turret, at right, carried above parapet, has slit lights with iron grilles. Middle stage has pointed windows in double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds. Oculi in similar surrounds in top stage. Corbelled straight parapet, with watershots. Steeply-pitched hipped roof, has raking dormers with louvred bell-openings, and central bronze cross finial. 3-bay nave/chancel. Similar windows, paired in clerestorey, with iron grilles. Canted aisles/transepts under 3 gables. Lower canted south porch projects from middle bay, with similar window flanked by boarded round-headed doors. Battered brickwork fills angles between aisles and nave. 5 stepped lights at east end, with cross finial. 4-bay east chapel with 2-span roof and similar windows. INTERIOR: painted brick with stone dressings. Plain 3-+ 1-bay nave/chancel arcades. Similar 3-bay arcade between chancel and chapel,which also has 3-bay arcades with slender octagonal piers, moulded capitals and bases. Similar tower arch and arches between transepts and aisles. Vaulted boarded ceiling with moulded ribs and carved bosses, springing from stepped brick vaulting shafts, in nave and chancel. Lateral barrel-vaulted aisles and transepts. Carved wood rood beam with weepers, in middle bay of chancel/chapel arcade, under richly-carved canopy on angel brackets. 1927 2-tier carved wood reredos has figures of saints and angels in canopied niches, and central figure of Virgin. Carved wood choir stalls and communion rails with bronze turned balusters. Early Victorian carved wood hexagonal pulpit, has traceried panelled sides, painted with northern saints, on colonnettes and centralvaulted stem. Marble bowl font, 1902, on circular arcade with stiff-leaf capitals, and octagonal step. West bay of nave and aisles, now filled by late C20 narthex and organ gallery by R. Simms (York).

Listing NGR: NZ4913920579

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59690

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing