This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CLEVELAND CLUB, AREA WALLS, PIERS AND RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CLEVELAND CLUB, AREA WALLS, PIERS AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1139868

Location

CLEVELAND CLUB, AREA WALLS, PIERS AND RAILINGS, CLEVELAND STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Middlesbrough

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jul-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59700

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLESBROUGH CLEVELAND STREET, NZ 4920 NE west side.

8/17 Cleveland Club, area walls, piers 17.7.68 and railings. G.V. II Bank, 1870/72 by John Gibson (Westminster), for National Provincial Bank. Converted to private club 1936. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof, with brick stacks. Renewed wrought iron railings. French Baroque style. One storey and basement, 5 bays. Applied Roman Doric Order, with guttae and paterae in frieze, inscribed : "NATIONAL PROVINCIAL BANK OF ENGLAND", and "ESTABLISHED A.D. MDCCCXXXIII" over doorway. Paired columns flanking doorway and at ends. Central slightly-projecting pedimented porch, up flight of 6 steps. Panelled double doors and blind overlight, in corniced, fluted surround, under 3-light moulded mullioned window. Sculpture in tympanum by Messrs Mabey, depicting Britannia flanked by ironworker and miner. Round-headed windows, with renewed glazing, in quasi-Tuscan surrounds. Scrolled keystones and moulded sills, on scrolled consoles flanking panelled aprons. Basement windows have iron grilles. Straight parapet, with pierced geometric-pattern panels, between square pedestals. Shallow-pitched hipped roof with 2 corniced stacks. Similar 3- + 2-bay returns, the rear end bays 2-storeyed and plain with square-headed windows. Frieze inscribed "REBUILT ANNO DOM. MDCCCLXXII", on both returns. Area wall has coupled gatepiers, moulded caps and plain railings. INTERIOR: plain, with panelled doors in wood architraves. Late C20 rear extension is not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ4960320872

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 49603 20872

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139868 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 03:02:08.

End of official listing