DOCK CLOCK TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1139871

Date first listed: 14-Oct-1999

Statutory Address: DOCK CLOCK TOWER, DOCK STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of DOCK CLOCK TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139871 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 20:18:08.

Location

Statutory Address: DOCK CLOCK TOWER, DOCK STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Middlesbrough (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 50248 20919

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 52 SW MIDDLESBROUGH DOCK STREET (East, off) 1279/2/25 Dock Clock Tower

II*

Water tower and clock tower, c.1870 possibly by Philip Webb. Used as water tower for water accumulators or reservoirs for maintaining hydraulic pressure to dockside cranes and dock gates; also used as navigational aid on River Tees. Red engineering brick with red sandstone and terracotta dressings. Welsh slate roof on clock tower. 4-storey, 3 x l-bay water tower, supports 2-stage clock tower. (South) entrance front has moulded plinth, and central slightly-projecting porch with renewed boarded door and fanlight, now boarded up; moulded imposts, keystones and shaped moulded cornice. Windows, blind in end bays, and round-headed on 3rd floor, in 4-storey round-headed recesses with shaped keystones under continous hoodmould. Altered casements, moulded sills and panelled aprons. Entablature, with fluted console brackets in frieze, below parapet with balustraded panels, and raised pedestals between bays and at angles. Square clock tower has ogee-stop-chamfered angles, above short angle buttresses with inverted scrolled brackets. Round-headed doorways in east and west faces of otherwise plain lower stage. Modillioned cornice between stages. 2nd stage has keyed oculi, holding clock faces on 3 sides, below frieze, dentil cornice and lunettes. Turned post finial on short chamfered pyramidal spire, sprocketed at eaves. Returns of water tower have similar recessed windows. Rear similar to entrance front, with blind doorway. Rear of clock tower shows patterned brickwork in blind oculus. INTERIOR retains 2 large cast iron tanks which once held the water that provided the hydraulic pressure which operated the lock gates and other dock machinery. Disused and dilapidated at time of resurvey. Mid-C20 brick and concrete one-storey east extension not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ5024820919

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59709

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing