STOCKTON PARISH CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1139977

Date first listed: 19-Jan-1951

Statutory Address: STOCKTON PARISH CHURCH, HIGH STREET, STOCKTON, STOCKTON ON TEES, TS18 1SP

Map

Ordnance survey map of STOCKTON PARISH CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1139977 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:36:51.

Location

Statutory Address: STOCKTON PARISH CHURCH, HIGH STREET, STOCKTON, STOCKTON ON TEES, TS18 1SP

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Stockton-on-Tees (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: NZ 44572 19251

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/05/2017

NZ 4419 SE 28/55

STOCKTON ON TEES HIGH STREET (east side) Stockton Parish Church

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Thomas)

19.1.51

Replaces medieval chancery dedicated. to St Thomas of Canterbury. Built 1710-12 reportedly with advice from Wren. Restored 1893, reseated and chancel added by R J Johnson in 1906. Site chapel and choir vestry added by W D Caroe 1925.

Six bay aisled nave with west tower and taller three bay chancel (ie taller than nave). Built of brick with stone dressings, quoins, moulded string to parapet and moulded coping. Round leaded windows each containing a round leaded lancel (original tracery pattern) and with long aprons below. Lead rainwater heads between most windows, one on north side dated 1712.

Low pitched roof (no clerestory) over nave and aisles with half gables flanking west tower. Three stage tower with corner pinnacles and round leaded louvre belfry style windows. Moulded string over clock stage. West doorway restored: round headed with segmental pediment open to fanlight, joined by ramped apron to window above which is capped by a pediment. A small version of this on south door segmental eaved architrave with heavy label and shortened window above. Three bay south chapel with a similar door - reused from position also on south side. Taller early C20 chancel in heavy "Wrenaissance" style. Brick with brick piers. Stone dressed oeils-de-boeuf windows. Two blocked doorways to south. At the east end a large round leaded window with a concave jamb and an armorial cartouche above breaking into open pediment stone balustrade at sides with ball finials to dies; east end pediment has urns at base and cross at apex. Vestries etc, on north side.

Interior: square piers to arcade, composite to rib vaulted south chapel. Top lit aisles, galleries removed. Variety of good carved C19 and C20 bench ends to good oak pews (including the Stockton-Darlington railway). Rich woodwork in chancery. Early C18 lectern and upper part of a three deck pulpit. Altar rails made from drift oak collected by Captain William Christopher while on Captain Cook's voyage to Hudson's Bay. Single storey new aisle to south of chancel.

Listing NGR: NZ4457119253

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 59456

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing