NEWBRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1140043

Date first listed: 23-Jan-1968

Statutory Address: NEWBRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEWBRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140043 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 16:18:35.

Location

Statutory Address: NEWBRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Callington

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Ive

National Grid Reference: SX 34737 67991

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALLINGTON

SX 36 NW

7/45

NEWBRIDGE, A 320

Newbridge

23.1.68

II*

Bridge over River Lynher. Mentioned by Worcester in 1478. Partly rebuilt in 1698 (datestone). Widened on the south side and parapets rebuilt in 1875 (datestone). Rubblestone and ashlar granite blocks. Moulded granite strings above north arches interrupted by cutwaters. North side with four segmented arches with cutstone voussoirs and keys. Arches without imposts. Granite cutwaters between continued to form refuges. Brackets on cutwaters probably used to secure stake nets by Rillaton Fishery. Further arch on east with granite lintel. Datestone, 1698, inscribed in cutwater on west with further datestone, 1875 above. South side widened by 1.5 metres. Large low cutwater on east side. Two cutwaters extended to form refuges. Parapets with granite coping. Splayed over abutments on east.

Charles I passed over the bridge in August 1644 after victory at Lostwithiel.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26 September 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61246

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, Coates, H, Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, (1928)

End of official listing