Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1140140

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: RICHMOND DOCK


Ordnance survey map of RICHMOND DOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140140 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 11:16:50.


Statutory Address: RICHMOND DOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Northam

National Grid Reference: SS 46471 30324


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


In the entry for APPLEDORE

1/157 SS 4630 Richmond Dock II the grade shall be amended to II*(star)

(The list was previously amended in respect of this entry on 12 February l987)



Dry-dock. 1856. Dressed stone rubble revetment walls with a pronounced concave batter, stepped out at 2 stages at the top. The inner end is rounded on plan and there are C20 lock gates at the seaward end. At intervals on the sides and at the inner end there are integral flights of steps. The floor of the dock is now concrete and there is a C20 gantry above.

Timber was imported from North America in the early C19 when sources of supply from the Baltic ports were affected by the Napoleonic Wars. This trade gradually developed into shipbuilding by James Yeo whereby ships were constructed on Prince Edward Island and sailed over to the Torridge estuary for fitting out. About 55 ships from Prince Edward Island were finished here in 1843 to 1853, but these ships were actually fitted out on the fare-shore. In 1849-50 James Yeo's son William decided to build a dry-dock at Richmond Yard, then a small creek and the dock was built in 1856. It is said to have been the largest dry-dock in the Bristol Channel at the time. Sources: 1. B Greenhill, 'West Country men in Prince Edward's Isle'. 2. John Barn 'Appledore Handmaid of the Sea' 3. North Devon Museum Trust Handbook No.2 4. Peter Beacham, Devon County Council.

Listing NGR: SS4647130324


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352081

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Barn, J, Appledore Handmaid of the Sea
Greenhill, B , West Country Men in Prince Edwards Isle
'North Devon Heritage' in North Devon Heritage, , Vol. 2, (1990)
Peter Beacham,

End of official listing