Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD AND ST DILP
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140179.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:04:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 43112 61512


LANDULPH SX 46 SW 6/149 Church of St Leonard and St Dilp 23.1.68 GV I Parish church. Probably C14, on earlier foundation; tower probably early C15, with aisles of later C15. Late C19 restoration, including raising of the nave roof to form a clerestory. Slate roofs with raised coped verges, ridge tiles and cross finials. Plan: Nave and chancel in one. West tower, probably added in the early C15. North aisle and south aisle with south porch of later C15. C19 alterations include rebuilding of the roof over the nave to form a clerestory and the addition of a vestry to the east of the south aisle. Exterior: The chancel east end has a 3-light C19 window, with 4-centred arch and breather above. East end of each aisle has similar window with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery, central light taller, of C15. Single storey C19 vestry. The north aisle is on a plinth, with diagonal buttresses and weathered buttresses, of 4 bays. The west bay has a chamfered, 4-centred arched doorway. The other 3 bays have windows as at the east end and similar west window with breather above; single storey lean-to at the west end. South aisle of 5 bays, with the porch in the west bay; similar buttresses and west window. To east, 4 similar windows and central projecting rood stair tower with lancet. Gabled south porch has 4-centred arched greenstone doorway with chamfered jamb shafts and cast iron gates. Slate sundial with gnomon over, set by John Wymond and John Hodge, churchwardens, 1767. Interior of porch has C19 slate floor and granite benches to sides, C19 wagon roof. Inner doorway has 4-centred arch with roll and hollow mouldings and hood mould, C19 double doors and image niche above. West tower in 3 stages, with string courses, weathered set-back buttresses through 2 stages and diagonal buttresses at the third stage; embattled parapet with pinnacles and polygonal north stair tower. West doorway has 4-centred arch, with rounded jambs with shaft rings, hood mould and relieving arch; C19 double doors. 3-light C15 west window, with 3-centred arched lights and upper tracery, hood mould and relieving arch. Second stage north and south a single 3-centred arched light with hood mould and relieving arch. Third stage has 2-light bell-openings with 3-centred arched lights, slate louvres, hood mould and relieving arch. Interior: Tall 4-centred tower arch in banded slatestone. Slate paved floors and plastered walls. Nave and chancel have C19 wagon roofs, with three 3-light cusped windows in the clerestorey; north and south aisles also have wagon roofs, reconstructed in C19 using earlier bosses; in the south aisle principal rafters and pendants also retained. The tower has a north door to the stair tower, with chamfered 4-centred arch door with iron bands and studs. 5-bay arcade to north and south with octagonal piers with ring mouldings, 4-centred arches, chamfered and stopped. Above the north arcade are 2 corbels from the former roof-line, and at the chancel are 2 corbels to north and south with carved masks, the springing for the former chancel arch. The south aisle has a 4-centred arched doorway to the rood stair, with stone newel stair and upper opening; corresponding opening above the north and south arcades. The south aisle has an east doorway, with pointed arch, possibly formerly a priest's door, now leading into the C19 vestry. Chancel has cusped piscina and aumbry. Rood screen of 1929. Fittings: Octagonal stone front in north aisle, with central pillar and 4 outer shafts; dated 1660, with inscriptions carved around the bowl; the font itself is of earlier date. Pews in north aisle and south aisle with C15 bench ends. C18 alms box in south aisle. The rood screen incorporates part of the C15 screen. At the west end, panelling with unicorn finials, formerly the Lower family's box pew, dated 1631, with fine carving on the panelling, set on the base of the C15 rood screen. Royal arms of George II in south aisle, oil on board in scrolled surround. Early C18 ringers' verses in tower, oil on board in bolection-moulded frame. Hatchment with coat of arms dated 1736 in south aisle. Letter of thanks from Charles I in north aisle, oil on board in scrolled ovolo-moulded frame. Pair of medals in case in north aisle, from South Africa 1853 and Pekin 1860, from Samuel Crook. Three C17 pewter flagons in case in the north aisle. Early C19 unidentified portrait of a man in the north aisle. Monuments in south aisle; oval slate tablet with floral surround, by H. Grills, to William Roberts, 1798; slate tablet to George Roberts, 1802; slate tablet to Richard Roberts, 1803; slate tablet to Joan...., 1782; pair of brass tablets in stone ovolo- moulded surround with some ancient colour, with stone skull and hourglass, to Sir Nicholas Lower, 1695 and Dame Elizabeth Lower, 1638; stone chest tomb with marble lid, carved with coat of arms and unicorn crest, to sir Nicholas Lower, 1655; stone tablet to Elizabeth Roberts, 1654; brass tablet to Theodore Palaeologus, died at Clifton, with shouldered nowy head on moulded plinth, with several inscriptions, of C18; slate tablet to Joseph Symons, 1801. In tower: slate tablet with shaped head and trumpeting angel carved in relief, to Fitz Anthony Pennington, Bell-founder of Lezant, with quatrain, 1768. Glass: South aisle window retains fragments of mediaeval glass, with shields of arms and the unicorn crest of the Lower family. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SX4199663132


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12991/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Spreadborough. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].