ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY GUNNISLAKE CLITTERS MINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140203

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY GUNNISLAKE CLITTERS MINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY GUNNISLAKE CLITTERS MINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 03:46:52.

Location

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE AND CHIMNEY GUNNISLAKE CLITTERS MINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Calstock

National Grid Reference: SX 42157 72409

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALSTOCK GUNNISLAKE CLITTERS MINE SX 47 SW 2/106 Engine house and chimney II Engine house and chimney at Gunnislake Clitters Mine. Late C19. Engine house in slatestone rubble with granite quoins and brick dressings. Chimney in slatestone rubble with brick top. Plan: The engine house is at the north end of the mine site, with the chimney about 15 metres to south ; the engine house stands on the bank of the River Tamar. The engine house is of rectangular plan, with bob wall at the south gable end, a tall narrow round-arched bob-opening with an upper round arch. Small rectangular building attached at the west side. The chimney is circular and tapered, with brick top and cornice. Gunnislake Clitters mined copper, tin, umber, wolfram and arsenic ; it began as an adit trail from the Tamar in 1822 - 27 ; it was re-opened in the 1860s and it had in 1865 a new 40 inch cylinder engine with a 10 feet stroke built in the Bedford Foundary, Tavistock. A 30 hp whim engine drew ores from the 90 fathom level. After 1900 it was amalgamated with Hingston Down Consols (q.v.) and the adjoining Hawkmoor and Gunnislake Old Mine, and was one of the few continuing production into the early C20. There are other buildings on site including a treatment mill and some flues, and the remains of another engine house. Sources: Booker, F.: Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley 1967. Tamar Valley Project.

Listing NGR: SX4215772409

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60852

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Booker, F, Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley, (1967)

End of official listing