PHOENIX FARM BRICKWORKS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140225

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: PHOENIX FARM BRICKWORKS

Map

Ordnance survey map of PHOENIX FARM BRICKWORKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140225 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 23:58:05.

Location

Statutory Address: PHOENIX FARM BRICKWORKS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Calstock

National Grid Reference: SX3964771613

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CALSTOCK SX 37 SE 1/51 Phoenix Farm brickworks II Brickworks ; originally known as Phoenix Vitrified Paving and Firebrick Works. 1874. Limestone with brick dressings. Plan: Originally a rectangular building, roofed, with 2 panellel back walls and arched openings to the front. There were formerly beehive kilns to the front and a chimney. A railway line ran along the front of the brickworks, and there was a claypit to north and south. The rectangular building is about 30 metres by 20 metres, with the front wall surviving; this has 6 round arches with heads of 3 coursese of brick. There is a return wall to left about 5 metres long. Walls about 2 metres high. In the rear wall there is one similar arch to right. There was clay prospecting on Hingston Down in the 1860s, and the Phoenix brickworks started in 1874, built at a cost of £60000. They produced vitrified paving bricks for mews, slaughter houses etc, heavy duty blue bricks and glazed terracotta tiles. The brickworks operated the continuous burning Hoffman type kiln. In July 1875, a consignment of Phoenix bricks was sent to Kronstadt naval dockyard; the company terminated the lease 9 years later. The railway line was laid in 1873. Phoenix brickworks in marked on the 1906 Ordnance Survey map. Sources: Booker, F.: Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley 1967.

Listing NGR: SX3964771613

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60803

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Booker, F, Industrial Archaeology of the Tamar Valley, (1967)

End of official listing