SX 46 NW
4/21 Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Probably late C14, with additions of early C15 and late C15 and
alterations of circa mid C17. Restored 1866, (Incorporated Society for Building and
Churches). Slatestone rubble with granite dressings. Tower, south porch and rood
stair in granite ashlar. Slate roofs with raised coped verges to gables.
Plan: Nave and chancel in one. North aisle of early C15, south aisle of late C15,
with later C15 south porch and west tower. Probably in circa mid C17, one bay was
added to the east end of the north and south aisles, the south aisle bay with an
axial stack. The east end of the north aisle forms the Edgcumbe Chapel.
Exterior: Nave enclosed by aisles. Chancel east end has 3-light C19 window with
cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould. Attached slate tablet to John Procter,
North aisle of 4 bays, hollow-chamfered plinth, with one bay to east with a straight
joint between, this bay on a chamfered plinth. The main aisle has 2-light early C19
windows, with 4-centred arch and hood mould, paired lancets with Y tracery. Between
the 2 east windows, the rood stair, on chamfered plinth, with single light, cornice
and blocking course. The east bay has a 4-centred arched doorway, chamfered with
step stops, hood mould with label stops and C19 door. Blocked window to left with
moulded cill and lintel. East end has 3-light mullion and transom window with hood
mould with label stops, hollow-chamfered. The west end has 3-light window with 4-
centred arched lights and hood mould.
The south aisle is of 4 bays, with porch in west bay and one bay added to east with a
straight joint between; the aisle is on a chamfered plinth, no plinth to the east
bay. The aisle has 3 windows to south, 2 as at the north side of the north aisle and
one C19 3-light window with cusped lights and hood mould. Doorway to east, chamfered
with step stops and basket arch, C19 door. Quoins and straight joint to the end bay
which has a blocked window, of paired lancets with Y tracery and hood mould. East
end has 3-light mullion and transom window as on north aisle. To south, an attached
slate tablet with shouldered nowy head and chrub, hourglass and cross bones, to Mary
Martyn, 1743. West end has 3-light window with ogee lights, 4-centred arch and hood
mould. Axial stack to east in granite ashlar with cornice and shaped top.
Gabled south porch on hollow-chamfered plinth with diagonal buttresses. 4-centred
arched outer doorway with clustered piers to sides and concave mouldings. The
interior has concrete floor with inset granite ledger to the Griffin family, dated
1625. C19 wagon roof. Holy water stoup to east. Recess set low in wall to west.
Inner doorway has narrow 4-centred arch with moulded surround, C19 studded door with
strap hinges and wooden case lock to the inside.
West tower in 3 stages on hollow-chamfered plinth ; set-back buttresses rising to the
second stage and embattled parapet with pinnacles ; the pinnacles are corbelled out
from the second stage, octagonal. West doorway has 4-centred arch, hollow-chamfered,
with square hood mould, C19 studded door. West window above, C19 3-light with cusped
lights. Clock at second stage to west. Third stage has 2-light bell-openings of
paired 4-centred arched lights with wooden louvres and relieving arch.
Interior: Plastered walls and C19 tiled floor. Nave and chancel have separate roofs,
the nave with a C15 ceiled wagon roof, with carved bosses and wall-plate. Chancel
has unceiled C19 wagon roof. North aisle has ceiled C15 wagon roof with carved
bosses and wall-plate. South aisle has ceiled wagon roof, possibly of C16 or C17,
with moulded ribs and wall-plate, no bosses. The tower has tall 4-centred tower arch
with paired piers to sides, plain capitals and imposts. Pointed arched chamfered
north door to tower stair with C19 doors. Nave and chancel in one, with north arcade
of 4 bays, piers with 4 shafts, chamfered 4-centred arches. 4-bay south arcade of
Pevsner A-type piers with capitals with ring-mouldings, 4-centred moulded arches.
Chancel has north door to Edgecumbe Chapel and south piscina. East window has rere-
arch and upper relieving arch with splayed reveal above for single light. North
aisle has doorway to rood stair with rebate for door and basket arch ; stone newel
stair and upper doorway. South aisle has C19 east door and south doorway at the east
Fittings: C19 stone font in south aisle. C19 pews and stone pulpit in nave. In the
tower, a fine ringers' board with painting of ringers and verses, oil on board, dated
1773. In south aisle, Royal Arms, oil on board in moulded frame, dated 1816. Letter
of thanks from Charles I at Sudeley, dated 1643 and signed by the churchwardens,
1736, oil on board in moulded frame, in south aisle.
Monuments in chancel : marble tablet on slate ground, to John Trengrove, 1780. In
north aisle: marble sarcophagus on slate ground, to Jane Wrayford, 1838 ; stone
tablet to John Terrell, 1796 ; oval marble tablet on slate ground, to Nicholas
Gribbell, 1827 ; stone tablet with entablature and pediment, by Lobb of Calstock, to
John Strick, 1844 ; in south aisle : marble tablet on slate ground, to Lucretia
Roberts, 1813 ; marble tablet on slate ground, to Mary Williams, 1813 ; marble tablet
with pediment, by Lobb of Calstock, to Thomas Merchant, 1845. Edgcumbe Chapel not
accessible at time of survey (January 1987), contains monument to Piers Edgcumbe,
1666, and monument to Jemima, Countess of Sandwich, 1674.
Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970.
Listing NGR: SX4168670956