Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140263

Date first listed: 21-Aug-1964

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: BRAY HOUSE


Ordnance survey map of BRAY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Dec-2018 at 21:21:49.


Statutory Address: BRAY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Morval

National Grid Reference: SX 27101 57354


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/34 Bray House (previously listed as Bray) 21-8-64


House. Circa late C16 or early C17 remodelled in mid C19. Probably built for Philip Mayowe who died in 1590 or for his son Philip who died in 1658. Stone rubble, partly rendered on left-hand side elevation with slate roof with gable ends to front range continued down over outshut extension to rear. Late C16/C17 stone rubble chimney stacks with moulded caps on gable ends and projecting rear lateral hall chimney stack incorporated into rear outshuts; further C19 front lateral chimney stack at junction of main range and 2-storey porch heating wide entrance hall remodelled in C19. Projecting wing at rear of higher side of hall, slate roof with gable end and projecting stone rubble lateral chimney stack with brick shaft. Offset rear wing at lower end with gable end and rear lateral stone rubble chimney stack with brick shaft. Plan comprising front range originally of 2 room and through passage plan with 2-storey porch; room on left heated by gable end stack and hall on right heated by rear lateral stack. Stair projection to rear at higher side of hall and solar above hall heated by gable end stack. Early C17 parlour wing projecting to rear of hall heated by lateral stack with offset rear wing it lower end, possibly C17 but remodelled in C19, heated by lateral stack forming overall U-shaped plan. C19 applestore and brewhouse added on gable end of rear lower projecting wing; mid C19 outshut added to rear of hall and through passage and mid C19 kitchen added to side of lower char wing in outshut heated by re-orientated rear lateral chimney stack. The front range comprised in circa late C16/17 possibly a 3-storey lower end with a 2- storey higher end comprising hall with solar above. Remodelled in mid C19 to form a 2- storey range throughout with an almost symmetrical 5-window front with 2-storey porch in centre. Large C19 3-light mullion window and smaller 2-light mullion window to left of porch with hoodmoulds and C19 casements; to right of porch 2 large C19 3-light mullion and transom windows with hoodmoulds and C19 casements. Porch with circa C16 arch, probably reused from earlier house with 4-centred arch with heavy rollmould, incised spandrels, hoodmould and rollmoulded jambs with plain stops raised up on granite blocks. Inner entrance door with C16 arch, also probably reused from earlier house, with 4- centred arch with heavy rollmould and jambs raised on granite blocks. First floor with four 2-light C19 stone mullion windows with C19 casements flanking similar window in gable end of porch with coat of arms of the Mayow family above. (Gules, a chevron vaire between 3 ducal crown or). Left-hand gabled rear wing of 2 storeys with asymmetrical 3-window front remodelled in C19; C19 4-light mullion window on left, C20 gabled porch to right with C19 4-centred granite mouled arch and three 2-light C19 mullion windows above. Rear elevation with 2-storey parlour wing with C19 3-light window openings on ground and first floor with deeply splayed reveals and chamfered lintels with masons mitres. Bellcote above with bell removed. Interior Largely remodelled in C19 with lower side of partition to through passage removed to form large entrance hall heated by front lateral stack; C19 carved stone chimney piece with 4-centred moulded arch and carved spandrels. Hall with C20 chimney piece and left-hand rear projecting wing with C19 carved stone chimney piece with 4-centred arch. C17 framed timber stair to rear of hall partly remodelled with lower stage enclosed in cupboard; window to stair projection blocked when incorporated in later outshut with C17 ovolo-moulded lintel visible from within roof of outshut. C19 carved timber balustrade to balcony at top of stairs within C19 outshut. Evidence of turreted stair adjoining rear lateral stack in parlour wing now demolished. Several plank doors with moulded cover strips, probably C19 but of high quality. Barrell vaulted plaster ceiling to solar above hall with possibly curved feet of principals projecting beyond the ceiling. Complete late C16 or early C17 10-bay roof to front range with principals morticed at apex and the collars with notched dovetail lapped joints with unusual square cut notches on lower side, similar to those at Morval House (qv). The lower end was originally unceiled with the gable end plastered to the apex and the principals chamfered both above and below the cranked Chamfered collars, all with diagonal-cut stops. The 5 trusses above the through passage and hall were probably always ceiled although the principals are chamfered below the chamfered cambered collars and have diagonal cut stops. Closed truss above lower side of passage with possibly C17 door with morticed frame. The softwood framework to the barrel vaulted ceiling above the solar appears to have been renewed; the frame is well below collar level with lighter collar members halved, lapped and nailed onto the face of the principals with crude unjointed braces. Parlour wing with similar 3-bay roof structure, lower rear wing with roof structure replaced in circa mid C19 and roof structure to porch not accessible. Bray, part of property of Sir John Robert Tresilian, judge of King Richard II and later put to death. Later brought by Hawley and then was purchased from Christopher Copplestone by Philip Mayowe in 1564. A contemporary map drawn up for Philip Mayowe indicates the site of the manor to the west of the present house. Mayowe died in 1590 and was buried in St Martins Church. House remained in hands of Mayowe family until the 1930s. John Mayowe (1640-1679) physiologist and chemist, Fellow of All Souls, Oxford 1660; D.C.L. 1670, published tract on respiration, 1668, in which he discovered the double articulation of the ribs with the spine, and put forward views (still discussed) on the internal intercostals, discovered in 'Tractatus quinque' 1674; discussed the chemistry of combustion, and described muscular action (Concise Dictionary of National Biography). Later member of Mayowe family Viceroy of India. Several monuments to Mayowe family in Morval Church (qv) and St Martin Church (qv). Concise Dictionary of National Biography (XXXVII 175). [Encylopedia Britannica] Further Mayowe papers in Cornwall County Record Office.

Listing NGR: SX2762157515


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 60692

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing