CHURCH OF ST PYNNOCHUS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PYNNOCHUS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140308 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-May-2019 at 00:30:28.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PYNNOCHUS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- St. Pinnock
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 20054 63233
SX 26 SW ST PINNOCK
5/93 Church of St Pynnochus (formerly listed as Parish Church of St Pinnock) 21/8/64 - I
Parish church with Norman cruciform origins. Tower rebuilt circa late C14 with circa C15 rebuilding of nave. Latter half of C15 north transept demolished and south aisle with 4-bay arcade erected. Circa C16 porch. Restored in 1881-2 by Hine and Odgers, architects of Plymouth. South transept rebuilt with part of east end. Rubble stone with granite dressings. Snecked stone in tower and C19 snecked stone in chancel. Ashlar snecked stone used in C19 rebuilding of south transept. Moulded plinth to tower. Simple plinth to nave broken by south transept. Dies out to east of priests door where rebuilt. Simple plinth to north aisle. Slate roof with nave and chancel in one with continuous roof. 4-bay north aisle not quite full length of nave. East window of 4 lights with Perpendicular C19 tracery and reused jambs. 4-centred arch with hoods and C19 carved drips. To nave, to east of porch, 3-light C19 Perpendicular window with hoods in original opening. C19 lancet in west window of south transept. C19 4-light Perpendicular window under 4-centred arch with some reused tracery to south and C19 3-light window to east of south transept. 3-light C19 window under 4-centred arch in south wall of chancel. South priests door with 2-centred chamfered arch and left-hand jamb. Reset. North wall of chancel, 4-light Perpendicular window in wide 2-centred arch with hood and carved drips. South aisle with four 3-light Perpendicular windows with hoods and plain drips under wide 2-centred arches. Tracery partly restored. West window of north aisle with C19 tracery of 3 lights under 4-centred arch. Battlemented tower of 3 stages with pinnacles and crochetted finials surmounted by iron crosses. Angle buttresses set back on north and south faces. West door with wide 2-centred arch, partly recarved with chamfered jambs. Pyramid stop to right-hand jamb. Hood mould and plain drips. 3 light belfry openings on 4 faces with cusped heads beneath rectangular hood moulds and drips. Pointed relieving arches. Projecting staircase turret on north face with 3 canted sides. Battlemented cornice removed from top. South porch gabled with rounded arched opening with cavetto moulded jambs. Slate barge-boards. South door with basket granite arch with stone voussoirs. Cavetto moulded frame with plain stops. Interior: 4-bay arcade of granite type A (Pevsner) piers with carved caps of Pentewan stone. Waggon roof to nave, north aisle and porch with moulded ribs and moulded stone wall plate. Partly restored with new bosses carved by Mr Moutrie of Tavistock. Tall tower arch, 2-centred with chamfered jambs. South transept arch plastered and partly restored. Late C19 furnishings with screens and pulpit by Messrs Hems of Exeter. Chancel panelled in 1943-4. Unusual Norman font of granite. Circular bowl with carved long eared heads and arms on corbelled corners. Octagonal shaft. Piscina on south side of east end of north aisle under basket arch. Maw and Co floor tiles increasing in ornamentation towards east end. Memorials: behind organ in east end of north aisle, slate stone memorial to Ames Coplestone, d.1629 and Jane, daughter of Emmanuel Ganbe d.1629. Also memorial to John Collier, gent, with heraldic arms. On exterior chancel wall, slatestone with heraldic arms in roundels to Thomas Hockin who died in 1767. 4 bells, recast in 1803 and inscribed I.P Church built into prehistoric tumulus, remainder forming churchyard. Source: C Henderson The Cornish Church Guide, 1925; Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889. N Pevsner and E Radcliffe, The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd ed. 1970. B E De St Paer-Gotch A History of St Pinnock Church and Parish, rp.1983
Listing NGR: SX1980162658
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
De St Paer Gotch, BE , A History of St Pinnock Church and Parish, (1983)
Henderson, C, The Cornish Church Guide, (1925)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1889)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing