- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- BOCONNOC HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140354.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 17:18:51.
- Statutory Address:
- BOCONNOC HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 14632 60562
SX 16 SW BOCONNOC BOCONNOC PARK
3/5 Boconnoc House
27/8/52 GV II*
County House, presently unoccupied, C16/17, home of Mohun family, extended after 1719 for Thomas Pitt, Governor of Madras, and in 1772 a south (picture gallery) wing added by the amateur owner Thomas Pitt, 1st Baron Camelford in association with Charles Rawlinson (carpenter and joiner, Lostwithiel): reputed to have been repaired by Sir John Soane: C19 additions, C20 alterations including 1772 wing demolished by Corvell, Drewitt & Wheatley, 1971. Rubble stone, formerly stuccoed east front with ashlar dressings and carved and moulded timber, slate roofs and brick stacks. 2 storeys with garrets and part cellars. Former L-shaped plan, now reduced to I-plan consisting of nearly symmetrical 8 window east front with 1 bay C18 symmetrical flanking wings breaking forward. 4 storey C19 block adjoins at north and reduced to 3 storeys in C20, making an 11 window front. Kitchens under south (demolished) wing now filled in under the C18 terrace. C16/C17 remodelled main range has thick walls with C18 refronting consisting of regular fenestration, large classical timber frontispiece at entrance doorway in fourth opening from left consisting of entablature with triglyphs and slightly projecting canopy at stone plat band level supported by 2 timber pilasters with Roman Doric caps and bases flanking pair of 3 panel doors with spoked fanlight and broken cornice at door head. Stuccoed plinth and stone cill course with 3 C18 tall sashes each sash plated with internal shutters to right. Eight C19 casement windows with 3-panes per casement and stone cills in corresponding position above floor. All windows have flat stone voissoirs and all glazing bars are thin. Moulded cornice and parapet partly hides 5 flat roofed dormers with sashes of 3 panes above 3 panes arranged in an attempt to overcome the asymmetrical entrance position. Flanking wings, without plinth or cill courses each have tripartite timber sash 6 panes above 6 panes in centre and 4 panes above 4 panes under rubble stone segmental voussoirs, perhaps of later design than the C18 first floor moulded and carved timber Palladian window. Ionic columns flank remains of barred sashes of uncertain pattern. Garret dormers over as below. C19 north block pair of wood casements, south elevation of barred sashes on each floor under cornice and parapet, C20 return end where picture gallery demolished has replica Palladian window at first floor. Mansard roof of small slates with lead ridge rolls over the whole with hipped ends over wings and hipped over C19 north block. C19 character to newly exposed west side of house partly masked by C20 single storey screen wall. C18 entrance elevation to cellared kitchens remains below west end of terrace. Interior: coved and moulded ceiling to entrance hall with C19 Ionic screen of coupled columns and responds in false work. To right 4 bay room (site of former hall) with good C18 details including elaborate plaster ceiling of perimeter ribs contained by enriched pulvinated and modillion cornice. Aedicules with shell heads below entablature on consoles and break forward below dado, flanking a doorcase set inside a pedimented entablature on Ionic fluted pilasters. Plastered picture frames each side of cast iron grate of circa 1820. Lions heads with floral drops below, between each window architrave. Staircase on left of entrance hall has C19/20 attempt in wood at Imperial staircase with mural painting to walls and ceiling in Edwardian Neo-classical guise. Rooms on south end fitted out in similar style except in picture gallery anteroom where the remaining features and salvaged casing timbers suggest better quality. C18 ground floor north wing panelled full height in billiard room and deep cornice of vine leaves of early C19 character in large smoking room immediately to west. First floor rooms generally C18 panelled to dado level. A park of considerable landscape merit of 1st Baron Camelford's time surrounds the house. The house is sited with similar relationship to Parish Church as Landydrock. Soan's repairs have not been identified. The south projecting wing appears once to have extended further to the east. Garrets, roofs and north block not inspected. Source: N Pevsner & E Radcliffe Buildings of England Cornwall, 1970; D Stroud The Architecture of Sir John Soane; H Colvin Dictionary of English Architects, 2nd ed.
Listing NGR: SX1463360557
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Stroud, D, The Architecture of Sir John Soane, (1961)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing