SCRAESDON FORT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140707

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1987

Statutory Address: SCRAESDON FORT

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCRAESDON FORT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140707 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:58:18.

Location

Statutory Address: SCRAESDON FORT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Antony

National Grid Reference: SX3928954886

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 35 SE AND SX 35 NE ANTONY

2/15 & 5/15 Scraesdon Fort

II

Fort. Designed 1859, work started 1860, completed 1865. Snecked rockfaced limestone rubble with stone dressings. An irregular 5-sided fort with entrance to south east; surrounded by a moat. There were 27 guns mounted on the ramparts, and the casements were covered by earth on the northern side to act as a screen to prevent the interior work being seen from high ground on the opposite side of the Lynher River about 200 yards away. Barracks/store rooms around inner sides of walls. Flight to steps at north east side leading down to the moat. Entrance bay has parapet stepped up with splayed openings and 2 lancets; tall round- headed doorway with roll-mouldings and pulleys right and left for the drawbridge, lantern overthrow, double round-headed studded doors. To left of entrance, 12 bays, each with triplet opening of central round-headed casement with voussoirs and narrow single light to each side, 2 similar bays to right of entrance. 2-storey ravelin to right with lancets, blocking course and hipped stone roof. Wall splayed forward to left with lancetsf at ground floor. The entrance has a round brick vaulted roof, with doorway to right to chambers, lantern overthrow at inner arch. On each side of the inner walls, round-arched bays in stone, each arch over central doorway with window opening to each side; parapet. To north east side and south west, a double external stair giving access to the roof, with arches under stairs. All rooms are brick vaulted. On north east side, the tunnel. Circular caponier to north with gun emplacement, with central iron mounting and circular pivoting track with degrees marked. This is a Moncrieff mounting. In 1859, a Commission was formed "to consider the Defences of the United Kingdom", after the pressure of public opinion following the new that the French Navy were building iron-clad warships. This was set up by Palmerston. The design of the forts was in the hands of the Royal Engineers, in the person of Colonel, late Lt General, Sir W.F. Drummond Jarvis RE. Scraesdon Fort was one of the outer line of forts defending Plymouth. Ancient Monument no. 649. (Sources: Rawlings, K.J.: Defence Works Plymouth Area 1300-1983. 1984)

Listing NGR: SX3928954886

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61670

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Rawlings, KJ , Defence Works Plymouth Area 1300-1983, (1984)

End of official listing