Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1140810

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951



Ordnance survey map of NEWTON FERRERS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140810 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 07:24:14.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Mellion

National Grid Reference: SX 34678 65891


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST MELLION NEWTON FERRERS SX 36 NW 7/210 Newton Ferrers House 21.7.51 GV I

Country house and garden terrace adjoining to the south. Circa 1685-95. Built for Sir William Coryton. Restored in 1880s for Sir Digby Collins. Fire in 1940 gutted west wing. Also demolished probably earlier manor house illustrated in engraving by Edmund Prideaux. Ashlar granite and blue and grey slate stone. Moulded granite plinth, strings and large granite quoins. Stone rubble to rear (north) elevation. Slate roof originally with hipped ends. Roof to central range replaced with flat roof with raised parapet. West projecting wing gutted and roof removed. East projecting wing with hipped ends. 3 lateral stone rubble chimney stacks with moulded caps on east elevation of east wing and rear lateral stack with moulded cap on centre of north elevation. House originally 'H' shape plan with further earlier range to west. Main reception rooms on piano nobile. Entrance on east with stair leading to saloon which occupies the 3 central bays. Here, only 1 room deep, the saloon looks onto the fine garden terraces to the south and the enclosed garden on the north. The west wing, now gutted, contained the dining room and secondary stairs. A smaller remodelled dining room is now situated to the west of the saloon. In the east wing an ante room leads to the library on the south east and a bedroom on the north east. Reputed to be the earliest Cornish mansion of classical design without traces of Tudor survivals. (Pevsner). 2 storeys, tall basement with attic now removed. Symmetrical 2:7:2 window south garden front, with 2 wings projecting forward. West wing with flat dressed stone arches to window openings. East side of wing with 2 window openings with 12-pane sashes to basement. Piano nobile and first floor with 4 window elevation with outer window openings blind. Central range, 7 window front. In the basement, two 6/3 pane sashes flank the 10 moulded granite segmental steps leading up to the panelled central double doors. Entrance flanked by granite chamfered rusticated pilasters with tall moulded bases with decorated capitals and moulded cornice which has been brought forward above the pilasters and in the centre. Flanked by 6 tall 12-pane sashes with horns beneath dressed stone segmental arches. Granite cills. First floor with seven 12-pane sashes with flat dressed stone arches and granite cills. At eaves the dentilled cornice has been removed and a parapet added with a segmental pediment over the 3 central bays, ramped at the ends and surmounted by ball finials. To the east all openings in the 4 window west elevation of the east wing have been blocked. South elevation with two 12-pane sashes to piano nobile and first floor. Dressed stone flat arches and granite cills. Dentilled cornice. Cast iron rainwater hopper on west wing with datestone 1815. Hoppers in juntion of central range with west and east wings with relief of lion passant. East entrance front with central porte-cochere enclosed in circa 1970s to form porch. 5 window east front with dressed stone segmental arches. Directly to east, remains of square granite piers, ball finials and square balusters which originally adorned entrance. Rear (north) elevation originally symmetrical with 2 short projecting wings. Only wing on north east survives. Central segmental gabled lateral stack with open pediment in relief. Heraldic arms possibly reset on outer wall of stack on piano nobile. Beneath hood in moulded square surround, the hatchment is well carved and contains the arms of the De Ferrers family. Interior Basement hall on east with bolection moulded panelling and chair rail. 2 large marbelled columns. Stair circa early C18, leading to piano nobile, open string with carved brackets. Believed to have barley-sugar ballusters which have been panelled over circa 1970s. Moulded rail, ramped at corners with square newel. Half- newel and rail in relief on opposite wall repeated as dado balustrade. Moulded doorcase to parlour with 6-panelled late C17 bolection moulded door with segmental pediment above. Panelling to saloon removed. Heavy early C18 cornice. Double late C17 bolection moulded doors leading onto terrace. Chimney piece replaced with suitable late C17 bolection moulded chimney piece. Dining room remodelled. Ante room in east wing with complete bolection moulded panelling with marbled veined ribs. Fielded panels. Heavy late C17 cornice. 6-panelled doors leading to bedroom on north and library on south. Bedroom with complete bolection moulded panelling with chair rail. Fielded panels. Bathroom introduced within room. Chimney piece renewed. Stair to first floor circa early C18 with moulded rail, ramped at corners. Balustrade panelled over in circa 1970s. Bedrooms and dressing rooms in east wing complete with bolection moulded panelling. Bedrooms in central range partly remodelled. Service rooms in basement largely remodelled. Terrace directly to south of south garden front. Extends from corners of projecting wings across front. Circa late C17. Bulbous granite ballusters on square bases with square caps. Divided at intervals by square terminals with moulded cornices and ball finials. Pair of square simple granite piers in centre with moulded cornice, curved neck and ball finials. 6 moulded curved granite segmental steps lead down to the lower terrace. Stone rubble relieving walls to terrace, heavily buttressed on the east. Further terraces to the south (qv terraces to south of Newton Ferrers House) complementing the fine south-elevation. Newton Ferrers was the property of the Ferrers family until 1314 when Isolda, daughter of John de Ferrers married John Coryton. The property remained in the hands of the Coryton family until the line became extinct in 1739. The now demolished 2 storey range to the west is illustrated in an engraving by Edmund Prideaux, c1735. (RIBA drawings collection). The existing house was probably built in the 1680s and 90s, contemporary with the stable block which contains a datestone of 1688 and the gatepiers which were reputed to bear the datestones 1688 and 1695. The terraces to the south were reputed to have been laid out by an "Italian". The terraces extend southwards from the west of the old range and the east of the present house and thus the entrance piers and segmental steps are placed asymmetrically, leading southwards from the centre of Newton Ferrers House. Library not inspected. 'Newton Ferrers, the seat of Mr Digby Collins'. Country Life, Jan. 9, 1940, 54-63 'Newton Ferrers, the seat of Sir Robert Abdy, B.T' Christopher Hussey, Country Life Dec 17, Dec 24, 1938 J. Venning Vennings New Central Postal Directory 1901 N. Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd ed. 1970 National Monuments Register.

Listing NGR: SX3468165896


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61411

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Venning, J, Vennings New Central Postal Directory, (1901)
'Country Life' in 24 December, (1938)
'Country Life' in 9 January, (1940), 54-63
'Country Life' in 17 December, (1938)

End of official listing