LOWER MANATON

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140817

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: LOWER MANATON

Map

Ordnance survey map of LOWER MANATON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140817 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 13:18:32.

Location

Statutory Address: LOWER MANATON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: South Hill

National Grid Reference: SX 33818 72084

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOUTH HILL SX 37 SW 2/224 Lower Manaton GV II Mansion house, now private house. Rebuilt in 1687 by Francis Manaton. (Datestone FM 1687). Stone rubble, rendered on south front. Slate roof with hipped end on left and hipped end to projecting wing on right. 2 rear projecting wings with hipped ends. Rendered C20 brick axial stack at lower end on left. Rendered brick axial stack between hall and front projecting cross wing. Plan much altered and remodelled in circa C18 and C19. 3 room and cross passage plan to main range with projecting contemporary cross wing on south east in place of inner room. Wide cross passage with stairs inserted. Cross wing later used as barn. 2 shallow projecting wings to rear of hall and lower end with single storey lean-to between containing dairy. Single storey porch at front of passage. 2 storeys, regular 4-window front. Ground floor with moulded granite plinth continuing along front and projecting wing. Late C19/C20 2-light casement and large 3-light casement to left of porch with C20 French windows to right. Porch of stone rubble with slate roof with gable end. Reset granite stone arch from West Coomstead in Stoke Climsland with initials F C and date 1663. 4-centred arch with hollow chamfered jambs and ball-stops. Arms of possibly the Clark family in apex. Right-hand side wall of porch with reset chamfered granite jambs, cill and lintel of small mullion window found in partly demolished barn to east. Left-hand side wall with reset stone quatrefoil found in garden. Inner door with segmental granite arch also from West Coomstead. First floor with four late C19/C20 3-light casements. Projecting right-hand wing with 2-light granite mullion and datestone F M 16 87 reset. Found in barn to east. Third granite arch from West Coomstead reset in porch to rear on north east. Interior with later chimney pieces. C18 2-panelled doors on first floor and wide moulded doorcases on ground floor. Originally 4 fish ponds in valley below house. One survive. In field known as the warren above the house of the east, the stone walls are constructed of vertically laid slates. The top of the walls have horizontally laid slates with the top slate projecting so to prevent rabbits from jumping over. Thereby containing them within the enclosure. The old mansion of Manaton was marked by Carew in his Survey of Cornwall in 1602. In 1637 Sampson Manaton died in the old mansion house. His eldest son Ambrose Manaton entertained King Charles I at Trecarrel in Lezant. Western Morning News October 24, 1891.

Listing NGR: SX3381872084

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61435

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Carew, R, The Survey of Cornwall, (1602)
'Western Morning News' in 24 October, (1891)

End of official listing