TREBEIGH MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1140827

Date first listed: 26-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: TREBEIGH MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of TREBEIGH MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 08:59:25.

Location

Statutory Address: TREBEIGH MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Ive

National Grid Reference: SX 30409 67132

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 36 NW ST IVE

7/155 Trebeigh Manor

GV II

Manor house now farmhouse with store on south. Circa late C16. Rubblestone rendered on south front. Slate and asbestos slate roof with hipped end to main range and galvanised roof to projecting wing on right with gable end. Rubblestone stack on right-hand hipped end and 2 slate hung rubblestone stacks with moulded caps on left-hand hipped end and to gabled rear lateral hall stack. 'L' shaped plan with projecting front wing now used as dairy and store. Main range probably 3 room and through passage plan with hall in centre. Passage blocked with later staircase. Later outshuts added to rear. 2 storeys, regular 5 window front. Ground floor of main range with 6-pane French window on left, late C19 3-light casement near centre in granite mullioned. hall window opening extended at base. Triple roll moulded jambs. C20 porch in angle with projecting wing on right. Rendered with lean-to slate roof. Continuous hoodmould above ground floor. Three C19 3-light casements with glazing bars on first floor. Central light of right-hand window replaced. Projecting wing on right-hand side with several blocked openings and straight joints. Ground floor with 2-light casement with iron stanchion bars beneath brick segmental arch. Near centre, plank door with large granite quoins and timber lintel. Straight joint to right. To right, partly blocked opening in granite surround with moulded granite jambs. Hoodmould above with carved labels. Above, C19 3-light casement on left beneath timber lintel. Opening to left of centre much altered, in larger opening. Rubblestone buttress on south east corner with granite dressings. To rear, window to left of projecting lateral stack 3-light casement with glazing bars in granite surround with moulded granite jambs as on front. Interior: Hall fireplace blocked. First floor with moulded granite frame to niche at top of stairs. Base of jambs decorated with combination of nail-head and dog-tooth patterns. Roof structure not inspected. Directly south of entrance 2 pieces of circa C17 carved slate. Several pieces of carved granite possibly associated with preceptory including a Maltese Cross in a granite window frame. Domesday manor, held wrongfully by Count of Mortain who had taken it from the church. In 1150 King Stephen gave the Knights Templars the Manor of Trebeigh together with Temple on Bodmin Moor, forming the Preceptory of Trebeigh. The Preceptory was given the advowson of the parish church of St Ive. In 1312 the Knights Hopitallers became the new owners. Accounts found in Malta for the Hospitallers of St Ive in 1338 record dovecotes, honey and the prices of animals and grain. Dissolved in c1534 but restored again in 1557 by Queen Mary. In 1573 the manor was granted to Henry Wilbye and George Blyke. John Wrey then acquired Trebeigh making it the chief residence of the Wrey family until the mid C17. Under the Earl of Moreton, and his successors the manor enjoyed almost royal privileges with its own court Leet with Stewart, bailiff and prison bailiff and prison. Ed. J. Morris Domesday Book 1086 rp 1979 J Polsue Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1867-73, rp 1974 J S Wenmoth 'The Historic Stone' Parish Pump 1980

Listing NGR: SX3040967132

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 61356

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Morris, J, Domesday Book Cornwall, (1979)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Wenmoth, J S, 'Parish Pump' in The Historic Stone, (1980)

End of official listing