This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ENGINE HOUSE KILLIFRETH (HAWKE'S SHAFT) AT SW 733442 SW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ENGINE HOUSE KILLIFRETH (HAWKE'S SHAFT) AT SW 733442 SW

List entry Number: 1140971

Location

ENGINE HOUSE KILLIFRETH (HAWKE'S SHAFT) AT SW 733442 SW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Chacewater

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 63094

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHACEWATER SW 74 SW 4/36 Engine house Killifreth Mine 30.5.67 (Hawke's shaft) at SW 733442 SW GV II Ruined engine house for beam engine with attached chimney. Circa 1865, chimney, heightened probably circa 1900. Granite rubble and killas; granite quoins and jambstones and brick arches and brick upper part of round chimney to north east corner. 1-cell rectangular plan with round chimney attached to north-east corner. Originally with 3 floors. All walls virtually intact. Thicker south bob wall to second floor level with deep dressed granite wallplate, originally timber framed above clad in weather boarding. Round-headed opening to ground floor. North gable wall has similar brick round arched opening to ground floor and smaller round-headed arched window openings to first and second floor. 2 square openings for second floor beams. Smaller round-headed window openings to east and west walls. 2-stage chimney has moulded brick collar over stone first stage and remains of moulded collar to later part of upper stage. The shaft is named after the purser of 1865, a Mr Edward Hawke, Jun., Tregullow. There were no returns in 1864 but by 1865: "The Company have very recently resumed the works, which were suspended a year a two. They are sinking the engine shaft, which will intersect the lode at a depth of about 70 fathoms". (Statistics and observations by Thomas Spargo 1865). The chimney of this engine house, since heightening circa 1900, is the tallest surviving chimney in Cornwall.

Listing NGR: SW7339144184

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Spargo, T, Statistics and Observations on the Mines of Cornwall, (1865)

National Grid Reference: SW7339144184

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1140971 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 09:42:31.

End of official listing