This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

10, ANGEL HILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 10, ANGEL HILL

List entry Number: 1141159

Location

10, ANGEL HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 466628

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8564SW ANGEL HILL 639-1/14/167 (North side) 07/08/52 No.10

GV II

House. Late C16/early C17 core, early C19 exterior. White brick and slates; mutule eaves soffit; timber-framed fragments inside. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellar. 3 window range: sashes with single vertical glazing-bars in plain reveals with cement flat arches and raised keystones. A cement band runs at 1st storey window-sill level. A C19 door surround has panelled pilasters and a small cornice on stub brackets. A later rear extension has 2 flat-headed dormers in the rear slope of the roof with 2-light 4-paned casement windows. INTERIOR: one exposed chamfered main beam of c1600 in the front range. A good early C19 stair, originally free-standing, but now against the west wall, has slender turned balusters on each side and a plain ramped handrail. A similar flight to the 2nd storey. The principal 1st storey room has a moulded plaster cornice and casing to the main beam. During part of the C19 this house was used as a girls' boarding school. One bay to the left of the entrance door was demolished after being severely damaged by a fire which destroyed the adjoining house to the west in 1912.





Listing NGR: TL8549764318

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 85497 64318

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141159 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 09:32:51.

End of official listing