Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141242

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967



Ordnance survey map of SALEM COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141242 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 09:18:47.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: High Roothing

National Grid Reference: TL 60259 17173


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 60 17 HIGH RODING THE STREET 4/11 20.2.67 Salem Cottage


Hall house, c.1400, altered in C16, C17 and C20, with addition C18/19. Timber framed, plastered, roof tiled. Consisted originally of a low 2-bay hall with integral parlour/solar at SW end, and a contemporary 3-bay service crosswing at NE end, jettied at the front, c.1400. A brick chimney stack was inserted in the NE bay of the hall, just off the cross-entry, and a floor inserted, late C16. In the C17 the front wall of the hall was raised by about 1.5 metres, but not the rear, and the roof was rebuilt. A long single-storey extension with axial chimney stack at SW gable, C19. 2 storeys. On ground floor, 2 C20 casement windows, door with gabled and tiled hood, C20, jetty underbuilt as a bay window with 2 horizontal-movement sash windows, C19. On first floor, 3 C20 casement windows and small diamond-shaped window above door. Single- storey extension, 3 C20 casement windows. Some framing exposed internally. Low end of hall had matched pairs of curved rising braces to central post, of which one remains at each floor. Front and rear doors remain in their original, medieval positions, but doorheads missing and frames concealed. C16 inserted stack blocked, with inserted cupboards, brickwork exposed on first floor, rebuilt above first-floor ceiling. Unchamfered common joists of horizontal section in crosswing.

It is probable that the roof was tiled originally. An undated photograph at the NMR shows it thatched, without door hood or diamond-shaped window above, but all other windows unchanged. A thatch fire in August 1973 destroyed the roof, except some charred timbers of the front gable of the crosswing. They show it to have been of crownpost construction, with curved rising braces to the king stud. As a result of the fire the rear end of the crosswing was slightly shortened, and the new roofs were tiled. RCHM 15.

Listing NGR: TL6025917173


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352751

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing