This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1141272

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: High Roothing

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352720

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 51 NE HIGH RODING Parish Church of All Saints. 2/62 20.2.67

GV II*

Chancel and nave C13, south porch C14. Restored, east and west walls, rebuilt bell- cote and north vestry added in C19. Flint rubble with dressings of clunch and some freestone. Roof tiled, vestry slated. The chancel (9.4 x 5.7 metres) has a C19 east window and wall. In the north wall is a C13 lancet window with wrought iron glazing bars and some old plain glass, with a C19 external head. In the south wall are 2 windows, the eastern C19, the western late C14 with one cinquefoiled ogee light in a square head; between them is a C19 doorway. The late C14 chancel-arch is 2-centred, chamfered and moulded; the responds have each 3 attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The nave (15 x 7 metres) has in the north wall 3 windows; the easternmost is late C14, of 2 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a 2-centred head, with one wrought iron casement and some old glass, mostly plain. The 2 western windows are C13 lancets; of these, the eastern has an original rear splay and segmental arch, with minor restoration. The other lancet is unrestored inside, but the inner splay has a round arch, wholly restored, with wrought iron glazing bars and some old plain glass. One quarry, behind a bar, is inscribed 'William Crow Glazier from High Easter July 10 1832 Aged 28 years'. Between these 2 windows is the north doorway, C13 with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 chamfered orders with restored moulded imposts and a moulded and billeted label. The door leaf is restored, with rear saltire bracing, and C13 ironwork. In the south wall are 3 windows, the easternmost and westernmost each of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights in a segmental head, late C14. The middle window is C15, partly restored, of 2 cinquefoiled lights under a segmental-pointed head. Between the 2 western windows is the south doorway with moulded jambs, 2-centred arch and label. The door leaf is framed and battened, the planks held in V-grooves in the styles and durns, C13, with C13 ironwork (Hewett 1982, pp 83-4). The west wall is rebuilt, with C19 window and bell-cote. The south porch is late C14 and has an outer doorway with moulded jambs, 2-centred arch and label, all much restored. In each side wall of the porch is a window of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery under a square head. The chancel roof has moulded wallplates and tiebeam (bowtell in great casement repeated) with arched braces, and is of 7 cants, C15. The roof of the nave is in 4 bays, with a long bay at the west end, where there are 5 replaced rafter couples, indicating the position of a former bell turret. The 3 arch-braced tiebeams and the 7-canted roof are similar to those in the chancel except that there is an additional high collar on each rafter couple, C15. There is a piscina with 2-centred head and 2 round drains, C13. In the chancel there are brasses (1) to John Joceline, 1603, inscription only, and (2) to Edward Jocelynn, 1627, and Mary (Lambe) his wife, with one inscription and a shield of arms. The brass recorded by the RCHM to Christopher Jocelin, 1605, is missing. The font has an octagonal bowl with a quatrefoil enclosing a shield on each face and a moulded underside, panelled stem and moulded base, early Cl5. The pulpit is octagonal, sides panelled with cinquefoiled and traceried heads, moulded angle-posts, c.1500, with a door of panelling, c.1600 and a modern stem.

Listing NGR: TL5918616523

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hewett, C A , Church Carpentry A Study Based on Essex Examples, (1982), 83-4

National Grid Reference: TL 59186 16523

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141272 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 09:29:42.

End of official listing