LODGE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141329

Date first listed: 14-Dec-1978

Statutory Address: LODGE FARMHOUSE, GOAT HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LODGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141329 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 14:43:36.

Location

Statutory Address: LODGE FARMHOUSE, GOAT HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Chelmsford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TL 69368 02736

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5213 GOAT HALL LANE Lodge Farmhouse TL 60 SE 8/157

II*

2. Circa 1280-circa 1330 house. Timber framed and plastered except south wall which is clad with black weather-boards. Of 2-storeys and 4 bays with front (west) elevation re-styled about 1900. Central front door with casements either side. Range of 3 matching casements on the lst storey. Roof steeply pitched and ridged with hipped southern and gabletted northern ends. Two red brick chimney stacks against the rear (east) wall, from which a single storeyed extension projects with gabled and tiled roof. Containing the complete frame of the 4 bay medieval house with storeyed end-bays retaining their lodged floors of exceptionally big joists. The 2 central bays were the open hall and its tall diagonally mullioned side windows are visible on the existing 1st floor. The storey-posts have jowls of the earliest type (of Priory Place, Little Dunmow) and the arch-braces of the open frame spanning the hall were evidently of great size and steeply pitched arcature. The top-plates are prominently scarfed with the stop-splayed and tabled joint having under-squinted butts and lateral wedges that is known only between the dates cited. The roof is entirely original and has 2 crown-posts that are boldly down-braced to their tie-beams and a gabletted smoke vent survives at the north end. The side walls of the hall are remarkable in that the cross-entry doorways to east and west are framed into the side-girts and storey-posts whilst the remaining bay of the hall is similarly 'arcaded' beneath the girt - on both sides, the bay lengths are unusual in that from south to north they measure approximately 15 ft. Service, 6 ft cross-entry, 9 ft. Hall and 15 ft. Solar. This house is a remarkable survival in an urban area and in an almost complete and unaltered state.

Listing NGR: TL6936802736

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352504

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing